Need a mainspring made!!!!

vstarclassic

Member
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Hi Guys,
I need someone to make a mainspring for a Tower horse pistol lock. This is for a 1795 New England Militia Musket. The lock says Tower but is not full sized or pistol sized so assume Horse pistol. Any suggestions appreciated.
Cheers
G
 
The lock says Tower but is not full sized or pistol sized so assume Horse pistol.


Interesting. I didn't know horses packed and shot pistols in 1795. Did they need a carry permit?

Any pics? :d


Seriously, there was an armory in the maritimes which made reproductions of famous muzzleloaders a few years back. I forget the name... Something-"Armory", I believe. Google's your friend!
 
Check with Dixie Gun Works in the USA and / or Loyalist Arms in Nova Scotia. Failing that you might check with the Rifle Shoppe in Oklahoma, IIRC. If you have the broken spring it will be much easier to find or make a replacement.
 
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try Blair at Loyalist Arms ( super nice guy by the way). Saw a utube video to make them out of a circular saw blades, not complicated but didnt want to do 3 or 4 tries before I got it right. The history of the militia musket is pretty cool. In 1795 in New England it was enacted that all males 16 to 60 had to own a musket of a specified caliber capable of taking a bayonet. These were carried and used right up through the war of 1812 up to the US /Mexican War. Most of the locks were imported from England ( go figger) as the US still didnt have the capability or were too expensive ( most likely the case). Mine has a Springfield barrel from 1820.
Cheers
Vstar
 
Broke the spring in that old gun Greg? I used to have a spring out of a tower pistol lock not sure what I did with it. I’d try Dixie they had a bunch of them a few years ago.
 
A memeber with the Cgn handle of "gunhogg" (I think) did a 1885 low wall mainspring for me during a restoration, he did excellent work and was super inexpensive. PM me if you're interested and I'll dig up his contact.

Mike
 
Happy to help Greg, the spring he did for me was a tricky bugger and he did an awesome job. Make sure you send the original even if it's broken. Hope your project is up and running soon!

Mike
 
Back
Top Bottom