Need Help - Custom Smoothbore Barrel For My Flintlock

maple leaf

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
I'm hoping someone can help me find someone in Canada that can make me a custom smoothbore barrel for my flintlock. I currently have a Lyman Deerstalker Flinter. My rifle currently has the stock Lyman rifle barrel (Lyman part #6993096 - DS Barrel 54 Caliber Flin) which is 1" width and 24" long, when I measured it (.542" bore, .550" groove and 1/48"twist). Various details on the firearm can be viewed here: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzzle-loaders/deerstalker-rifle.php

I want to be able to swap out my rifled barrel for a smoothbore during turkey and geese hunting seasons. any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
ML
 
I think you'd be better off looking for a double barreled 12 ga muzzle loading shotgun (Davide Pedersoli makes one). Ellwood Epps has one in stock.

About the best you could hope for with a smoothbore barrel for your Lyman is about a 28 ga. For turkey and geese you would be limiting yourself to very light shot loads.

I couple of guys I know who have gotten smoothbore barrels for their modern in-line muzzleloaders complain that the straight rifle stocks make for very poor shotgun style shooting.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom