Need Help Determining if I can use Modern Ammunition

Bituman

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Like the title says, I need help identifying a few guns. I've had the chance to buy what I believe to be an Iver Johnson target 9-shot 1900 (22 cal) and a Bayard-Pieper 22 cal rifle (like a model 1921). Both guns are cheap and have little collector value (at least to my knowledge) but I don't like the thought of having a gun I can't fire. Any help is greatly appreciated.
 
No direct knowledge, but I would never use .22 LR hi-velocity in such firearms. My buddy blew off rims and extractors twice with 1950 era semi-auto rifle. Make sure they were intended for .22 LR, ,22 short might be safer.
 
Most of the old-time guns were rifled with very shallow grooves.

A modern bullet from a high- or hyper-velocity round will skip down the bore and shoot all over the place.

For best shooting, use Standard velocity .22 ammo or, better yet, try Subsonics. Nice and slow, they shoot awfully well in many old guns and are quite the thing for Cooeys (also rifled very shallow). They also run at considerably lower pressure, so far less problems with blown casings, gas spit-backs and other nasty issues.
 
Back
Top Bottom