Need help getting flint for a muzzleloader.

there is no real source of flint in north America most of what people call flint is chert and volcanic glass(obsidian useless for flints) most of the chert I have found is not worth even trying to use(sitting on the surface too long a has freeze cracking in it)

Some people will tell you that the only "true" flint comes from the Cretaceous chalk beds of southern England and northern France and Denmark, but this is like saying that unless a diamond has come from South Africa, it can't really be called a diamond, and you have to call it crystalline carbon. In other words, nonsense.

I've got a ton or so of nice flint in my garage, including some exceptional flint from the cretaceous Stooping River Formation of the James Bay Lowlands, some Georgetown Flint from cretaceous deposits in Texas, and which is indistinguishable from English flint, and some gorgeous root-beer coloured flint from the cretaceous Knife River Formation of North Dakota. And that's just the cretaceous stuff.

Flint and chert(the terms are pretty much interchangeable) are both sedimentary deposits of silica, with varying amounts of impurities in it., which accounts for the variability between what is found in different locations, and even within the same location. It can form as nodules, or in beds. It can be opaque, or it can be translucent, or any combination thereof, and in just about any colour. It varies between fine and glassy to grainy, and a fist sized piece can vary from one end of the spectrum to the other.

I've been playing with this stuff for a long time
arrowheads002-Copy.jpg

some of these are made from British flint, some from Texas flint. Can you tell the difference?
 
Last edited:
I bought all my flint from Track Of The Wolf. As other have stated, they ship to Canada. Why did I choose them, because I could get real English Flint (not agate as some suppliers sell). Also, and this is the biggest reason - IT WAS CHEAPER! I love supporting Canadian shops, but almost of them are ordering through a major distributor like TOTW, having it delivered to their door and marking up the price. In some cases I've seen English flint being sold in Canada for $5 a piece, which is outrageous! My flint cost me $1.65 each to give you an idea on what they should cost. Hope that helps.

If anyone has an economical Canadian source for flint, I'm all ears. If you do, please PM me :)

I'm with you on that!

HA
 
Back
Top Bottom