Need help identifying a rifle

Also keep your eyes on garage sales - I just ran across an old timer getting out of it that had a good quality press, powder charger and a scale pretty cheap - luckily I had a set already passed on to me from another old timer and have started yet another fufilling hobby - having to work for a living is starting to get in the way.

LOL. Yes I know about work getting in the way. Will keep a look out for sales, although I don't think there would be too many up in northern Alberta where I live. But one can never know when and were you may run into something like that.
 
If you know somebody who attends a lot of gun shows, ask him to keep an eye open for you. You never know what might turn up.

And don't avoid ugly old equipment, either. Last-but-one gun show I was at, fellow had for sale a super-ugly old black Herter's cast-iron press. Ugly as SIN, weighed a bit more than my pickup, I think. But it was ALSO solid enough to SWAGE YOUR OWN RIFLE BULLETS, which is what it was designed to do. Seventy-five bucks...... and I didn't have anywhere to put it on the bench!

You can do it fairly inexpensively if you don't go all ga-ga over the frills. Gavin Tait, my late friend who loaded the most accurate ammunition I have ever shot, did not even OWN a powder measure! Gavin used a little silver spoon, a cat-food tin and a little piece of folded paper..... and an RCBS 505 scale. A lot of Gavin's ammo, fired from a good rifle (sometimes with good glass), would cut a single hole at 100 yards...... which is pretty darned good, considering that he was working mostly with WORLD WAR ONE rifles. He was trying to ascertain just HOW accurately those old rifles could be MADE to shoot. His final conclusion was that the barrels available back then CAN shoot just as accurately as most modern factory barrels: they just took longer to make.
 
I agree with Mr E Moose - sporterized Carcano 6.5 x 54 - Had the same situation (but not as nice shape) but missing bolt - post it on equipment exchange - I was able to buy a bolt from a member - actually got a few extra parts to boot. There was a few others that had one as well. Personally, I'm looking for a stock for the same gun but haven't gotten around to posting in WTB. Good Luck!

I'm pretty sure I have a stock, mag assembly and a bolt. I'll have a look, if I do, you guys can have them, just pay the shipping. I'll dig them out and pm you both.

A2
 
Gawd I love CGN!!! Who does these things for people they don't know? Gunnuters, that's who! Why, because if there's a gun out there that's inoperable and if it's within our power to rectify that situation WE'RE OBLIGATED TO DO SO!

A2, I'm going to nominate you for the Order of Canada...no, not good enough The Venerable and Most Respectful Order of Gunnutter's...DO I HAVE A SECONDER!?
 
I second that for sure.

Gawd I love CGN!!! Who does these things for people they don't know? Gunnuters, that's who! Why, because if there's a gun out there that's inoperable and if it's within our power to rectify that situation WE'RE OBLIGATED TO DO SO!

A2, I'm going to nominate you for the Order of Canada...no, not good enough The Venerable and Most Respectful Order of Gunnutter's...DO I HAVE A SECONDER!?
 
SDENG010A071.jpg



Anglia2; having heard from the membership of the Venerable and Most Respectful Order of Gunnutters, it is my distinct honour and privilege to present you with this Orders most cherished and coveted accolade. THE GUNNUTTERS CUP OF CHARITY.

The recipients of this honour have been found to surpass any expectations in the preservation and resurrection of firearms. Let it be known that your unsolicited benevolent actions are recognized.


Sisters and Brothers, please rise and recognize our newest recipient of the "cup of charity".


Laugh2
 
Last edited:
Hear Hear - plus the guy on the right - I'm sure he was my high school shop teacher. Hey Anglia2 - I have sent a few pm's but they aren't showing up in my mailbox - can you confirm you are getting or else there is something funky going on with PM's
 
Just a public shout out (or shoot out?) to Anglia2 - just got parts - it was like Christmas in Italy. Faith in humankind restored. Some good people on this forum!
 
Mellie; just as Anglia2 has assisted you, it is my earnest hope that you too will have the opportunity to "pay it forward" to someone in need one day. On that day, remember this one and the act of fellowship that was shown you.

Anglia2, along with the venerable cup of charity, you also have my...
images
 
Last edited:
So had the bolt for a while, got some clips shortly after that, then some ammo about 10 days ago. Finally made it out to the range today, loaded it up and fired off a few rounds. Shot really well, first shot in over 40 plus years. Did have some trouble with the ammo feeding and could not get a full clip into the rifle. After I got home and inspected and did an online search for a parts diagram (found one for a 91 Carcano), noticed that someone added a small metal part under the follower spring. Removed it but not enough tension to push the ammo up into place to be feed (would only do the first one) but does load a full clip. I noticed in the diagram that the follower spring seems to have more of a curve that the one I have. So after working at it in the vice, I managed to put more of a curve in it. Tension is great at the start till I press down and let it back up, seem to straighten out a bit and will now feed about 4 of the 6 rounds.

So I am now looking for a follower spring. Found one at Numrich, but shipping double the cost. Wondering if anyone may have one kicking around that they would not mind selling? Will be posting in the WTB section as well.

By the way, does a very nice group with the PRVI 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer 156gr SPRN ammo I got. Now I have to wait for them to get more stock and get some more, as I only bought a couple of boxes to try out. Also have to look at getting some reloading equipment, maybe for Christmas.
 
Thanks for looking. Got a pm and ended up finding one and some other spare parts, so all it good.
Yes it was great to finally get it functional and to get out and shoot a few rounds.
 
Back
Top Bottom