Hello everyone.
My father passed away four years ago at the age of 91 and handed this gun down to me which was handed down from his father. I have very little knowledge of muzzel loaders and hope that someone can assist me in identifying this firearm before I have it restored and mounted. I have talked to a few friends who have helped in providing the following information about the gun:
Length of gun : 64 1/2 inches
Length of barrel: 47 inches
Barrell is an octogon shape near stock and turns into a round shape towards the end of barrel.
Maybe a Brown Best trade gun
Gun came from Newfoundland and probably was made around 1850-1860 (unsure where it was made).
Large caliber cap lock gun possibly 75 caliber
Gun cocking mechanism works fine and this gun is still operational.
I have enclosed a link below with some photos of the gun and hope anyone can provide any additional information in identifying it and maybe providing me what this gun would be worth today since it's considered an antique.
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n278/wadenbc/Gun/
Any help would be apprecited !
Thanks !
My father passed away four years ago at the age of 91 and handed this gun down to me which was handed down from his father. I have very little knowledge of muzzel loaders and hope that someone can assist me in identifying this firearm before I have it restored and mounted. I have talked to a few friends who have helped in providing the following information about the gun:
Length of gun : 64 1/2 inches
Length of barrel: 47 inches
Barrell is an octogon shape near stock and turns into a round shape towards the end of barrel.
Maybe a Brown Best trade gun
Gun came from Newfoundland and probably was made around 1850-1860 (unsure where it was made).
Large caliber cap lock gun possibly 75 caliber
Gun cocking mechanism works fine and this gun is still operational.
I have enclosed a link below with some photos of the gun and hope anyone can provide any additional information in identifying it and maybe providing me what this gun would be worth today since it's considered an antique.
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n278/wadenbc/Gun/
Any help would be apprecited !
Thanks !


















































