Need help IDing old rifle.

Chumlee Bumsnag

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Location
BC
Hi everyone. My wife's father dug up a picture of his father with a rifle when he was a Forest official in Germany pre WW ll. He thought it was a Browning and held 5 rounds. I thought it might have been a Remington model 8 designed by John Browning but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
2018-06-01 19.36.24.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 2018-06-01 19.36.24.jpg
    2018-06-01 19.36.24.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 363
The Remington Model 8 had a fixed box magazine and traditional straight stock, not a pistol grip. It's definitely something else.

Are you sure it was a rifle? Looks a little bit like a Browning Auto 5 to me. Kind of like a shell lifter right in front of the trigger guard? And it's hard to tell but the back of the receiver looks like it might be squared up like the old humpbacks.
 
Last edited:
another indication that it is an Auto 5 is the cartridge/magazine cut-off lever that appears to be in the photo. I didn't know they were on that early of an Auto 5.

I have an early FN Auto 5 that has only a 4 digit serial number, 35xx. The frame has a 1903 patent # stamp so there weren't many built between 1900 and 1903. It doesn't have the mag cut-off. An interesting note from the barrel roll stamp, Barrel (or whole gun, it doesn't specify) was made with something called "Cockerill Steel".
 
Back
Top Bottom