New to BP Rifles

Crazy.kayaker

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I just bought myself a BP rifle which I've wanted to do for some time. Nothing fancy as it's just a CVA Wolf in .50 cal as it was on sale at Frontier and saved $90 on the kit model ($40 less then the straight rifle), so it comes with all the accessories to get started (missing 209 primers and powder) or so it says. I know I'll have to read the manual then get more of everything when I get it but I'd like to know what I should expect. My other Rifle is a .308 so I'm going a full 180 on this gun and need all the help I can get from people that know what they are doing. I'm truly lost but I've wanted to get a BP rifle since I got my PAL a good 18 months ago. So anything you can tell me will be more then I know at this point. Other then I'll need a medium coarse powder for it...I think. Again HELP!

I'm expanding my horizons with this gun and hope I like it and end up getting something more classic looking and to my tastes in style once I know for sure if BP guns are my thing.

Thanks in advance for your help
Crazy.Kayaker
 
The most important thing about shooting muzzleloaders is to clean them properly. I have seen many rifles with the bore rusted to crap in no time at all. I would suggest that you use loose powder and try a variety of bullets to see what the rifle likes, and clean it after each day of shooting.
 
I always patch my rifles barrel after shooting but I do know BP is corrosive so I'll make sure I give her good cleanings after I shoot.

As for the Loose powder....you mean don't pack it down? or a coarse powder?
The Variety of bullets part I understand from my hand loads and such my .308 loves the 150 but doesn't like 165 and hates 180 grain bullets so I know I have lots of testing before I can start the serious practice for hunting unless I just get lucky and find the best bullet for it quickly. I will not be making my own due to asthma but would round or sabot be a good round to look at or both?

I know in the end it is my choice but I don't want to spend to much time and money on wrong bullets or powder cause I was loading/packing it wrong and with the wrong stuff.

I'd ask someone here to help me but I don't know any BP shooters in Kamloops who could teach me. So I'm depending on you guys.

Cheers
CK
 
if a fast twist 1/28 get some sabbots , the black ones, cast or buy some of those barnes 250 gr bullets, cast size to .451 , and try and get some Blackhorn 209 , excellent reviews, for both cartridge guns, and front stuffers easy clean, cost more, but hey , for hunting its worth it.
Seat that bullet well , no air space (bomb effect) I bounce the rod a couple times after seating to confirm this.
Good luck, excellent choice of hunting tools....:)
 
When I said loose powder that refers to non pellet form. After I get my load down pat, I mark my ramrod so I can tell when the ball is seated properly. I only shoot round balls so I can't help you much with what to shoot, but you can shoot a patched round ball out of a fast twist rifle if you keep the powder charge light. It can be good practice. Good luck and have fun.
 
Don at PK I'll go and talk to him. Hope he's the guy that's friendly (short robust always with a hat) Not the other short bald guy. I'd have to bring the rifle in for them to look at and help me out as I'd want to scope it most likely since it looks like.
wolfblk.gif

* 24" Barrel .50 Caliber Only
* Extendable Aluminum Loading Rod
* Stainless Steel Removable 209 Breech Plug
* DuraSight® All Metal Fiber Optic Sights
* Available in Camo or Black Stock
* Drilled and Tapped for Scope Mounts
* CrushZoneTM Recoil Pad
* 14.43” Length of Pull
* 7.0 lbs. Total Weight
* Lifetime Warranty

No idea on it's twist yet still researching on the rifle. Learning all I can about said rifle. Website isn't much help about the actual rifle. Thanks for your help so far guys learned stuff I didn't know before. Gonna be a STEEP learning curve especially the cleaning part looking at all the stuff there is how much of that do you actually need? I know with my brothers SKS I just boil and then DRY all the internal parts after shooting it then clean the interior with gun scrubber and and then reassemble the gun. Nothing special. Is it the same with BP or do you need to spend the fortune on the specialty cleaners? Brushes and patches I know I need but 5 different cleaners for just 1 gun????
 
Found out it has the fast 1:28 Barrel Twist according to other websites. I got a good week to wait for her to show up.....Gonna be a slow week. Gonna have fun with the gun and thanks I though the Wolf looks Nice to. Too scope or not to scope is the question I'll have to find out after I look down the sights in a week.
 
Back
Top Bottom