Well I had my first and hopefully my last "thank God I had a RCMP letter" moment today.
I finally decided I was going to ship one of my antiques to a US gunsmith for work. Figuring I was going to do some shopping in the States today, I thought I would just ship it once I crossed the border. Let me tell you right now it was not the most pleasant experience. I had the handgun all packed up in secured gun carrier within a sealed box with instruction to the gunsmith and a copy of my CFC letter.
First stop was on the Canadian side to ask them for one of those green temporary item exportation cards so I don't have to pay taxes on re-importation other than on the smith work. Well the moment I mentioned antique handgun to the boarder guard, it was like I said I had leprosy and it required the immediate attention/backup of another guard who was armed with a PX4. They escorted me watchfully, one of the agents with their hand on their pistol all the way to my truck. Interestingly enough they seemed satisfied just looking at the revolver and both decided it looked pretty old, no need for proof and decided I was just some sort of crazy gun collector and had me on my way.
A few minutes later on the American side the American DHS agent asked if I had any firearms to which of course I honestly replied, yes an "Antique handgun on the way to a gunsmith". Immediately there was a flurry of activity like they caught a criminal mastermind who had fallen into their well crafted trap. This culminated in me being pulled in for inspection by two burly officers who kept asking me the same questions repeatedly assuming that eventually I will say something contradictory. Ultimately they seemed satisfied with the CFC letter but only after they asked me to sit in a 5x6 "waiting room" with bare concrete walls, opaque window that oddly felt like a holding cell. They rummaged through my truck for a seeming eternity that was really only 20 minutes. During the period that I was "waiting” I honestly started to wonder "did I do something wrong?" "are they going to seize my truck?", "my wife is going to kill me if I get arrested". Nonetheless the letter proved to be quite helpful today; it clearly kept me out of real jail.
The worst part of all of this was the feeling of being criminalized by both sets of officers for what I understand to be legal behaviour otherwise.
I finally decided I was going to ship one of my antiques to a US gunsmith for work. Figuring I was going to do some shopping in the States today, I thought I would just ship it once I crossed the border. Let me tell you right now it was not the most pleasant experience. I had the handgun all packed up in secured gun carrier within a sealed box with instruction to the gunsmith and a copy of my CFC letter.
First stop was on the Canadian side to ask them for one of those green temporary item exportation cards so I don't have to pay taxes on re-importation other than on the smith work. Well the moment I mentioned antique handgun to the boarder guard, it was like I said I had leprosy and it required the immediate attention/backup of another guard who was armed with a PX4. They escorted me watchfully, one of the agents with their hand on their pistol all the way to my truck. Interestingly enough they seemed satisfied just looking at the revolver and both decided it looked pretty old, no need for proof and decided I was just some sort of crazy gun collector and had me on my way.
A few minutes later on the American side the American DHS agent asked if I had any firearms to which of course I honestly replied, yes an "Antique handgun on the way to a gunsmith". Immediately there was a flurry of activity like they caught a criminal mastermind who had fallen into their well crafted trap. This culminated in me being pulled in for inspection by two burly officers who kept asking me the same questions repeatedly assuming that eventually I will say something contradictory. Ultimately they seemed satisfied with the CFC letter but only after they asked me to sit in a 5x6 "waiting room" with bare concrete walls, opaque window that oddly felt like a holding cell. They rummaged through my truck for a seeming eternity that was really only 20 minutes. During the period that I was "waiting” I honestly started to wonder "did I do something wrong?" "are they going to seize my truck?", "my wife is going to kill me if I get arrested". Nonetheless the letter proved to be quite helpful today; it clearly kept me out of real jail.
The worst part of all of this was the feeling of being criminalized by both sets of officers for what I understand to be legal behaviour otherwise.
Last edited:


















































