Odd 45-70 light load question

cooterdog

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Williams Lake BC
So I was told today by a guy up at the range that he heard that a 45-70 can be loaded light enough to take grouse and small game. After looking around online I see people have used .457 round balls and what not. Anybody on here know of any ideas? I was hoping to use black powder but if need be I could use smokeless.
 
I've loaded .457 balls in my 45-70s with as little as 5gr of fffg but you can't get the ball far enough down the case to seat on the powder unless you have 10 or more. They were surprisingly accurate but range is less than a slingshot.

You can also double ball if you like or use the light .457 conicals meant for the Old Army. As long as you don't have a separated load and make sure that everything gets out the end there isn't much you can do with black powder that will be dangerous.
 
I've loaded .457 balls in my 45-70s with as little as 5gr of fffg but you can't get the ball far enough down the case to seat on the powder unless you have 10 or more. They were surprisingly accurate but range is less than a slingshot.

You can also double ball if you like or use the light .457 conicals meant for the Old Army. As long as you don't have a separated load and make sure that everything gets out the end there isn't much you can do with black powder that will be dangerous.

Wonder how some 45 cal pistol rounds would work!
 
In my 450 marlin, .5 grain of unique, then a carboard wad, and tamped a round ball all the way inside the case, down on top the wad & powder. These shots are essentially silent, and crono at about 250ft / second. Strangely enough they were quite accurate, and were perfect for grouse. I used them for grouse etc, so as to not spook big game when out hunting.

Don't know if this would work in a 45-70 case. And you absolutely have to check to make sure the barrel is clear before shooting another shot. These silent loads are moving slow, and in theory could get stuck in the barrel. Although I've never had it happen, and have shot a bunch of them.

Fun to experiment with.
 
In my 450 marlin, .5 grain of unique, then a carboard wad, and tamped a round ball all the way inside the case, down on top the wad & powder. These shots are essentially silent, and crono at about 250ft / second. Strangely enough they were quite accurate, and were perfect for grouse. I used them for grouse etc, so as to not spook big game when out hunting.

Don't know if this would work in a 45-70 case. And you absolutely have to check to make sure the barrel is clear before shooting another shot. These silent loads are moving slow, and in theory could get stuck in the barrel. Although I've never had it happen, and have shot a bunch of them.

Fun to experiment with.



.457 round ball packed down might have some advantages. I think I'll have to try low and work my way up slowly.
 
In my 450 marlin, .5 grain of unique, then a carboard wad, and tamped a round ball all the way inside the case, down on top the wad & powder. These shots are essentially silent, and crono at about 250ft / second. Strangely enough they were quite accurate, and were perfect for grouse. I used them for grouse etc, so as to not spook big game when out hunting.

Don't know if this would work in a 45-70 case. And you absolutely have to check to make sure the barrel is clear before shooting another shot. These silent loads are moving slow, and in theory could get stuck in the barrel. Although I've never had it happen, and have shot a bunch of them.

Fun to experiment with.

how was the point of impact compared to your regular loads?
I use reduced loads but not that low. I still want to be able to use the scope.
 
10gr of Unique under a 350gr cast bullet but it's not really what I wanted. I'm looking for a load that shoots at least on the same vertical with the factory loads so that I only need to remember the holdover (or under).
 
10gr of Unique under a 350gr cast bullet but it's not really what I wanted. I'm looking for a load that shoots at least on the same vertical with the factory loads so that I only need to remember the holdover (or under).

I'm seeing this round ball info is point on at 25 yards but what charge is still confusing.
 
I too have used Trail Boss for reduced 45-70 loads. I used 3-8 grains, play with the load till you get them hitting where you want right left and all you have to remember is the drop. I used cast 405 grain bullets from the bullet Barn as they work in my 45/70 and 460 Weatherby for TB loads. Trail Boss makes VERY low pressure loads. Even a case full produces pressures safe for most old Black Powder guns. That is what is is made to do, perform as a smokeless BP replacement in cowboy shooting etc.

Most on here know but I will post this warning anyhow - If you do reduced loads using BP, remember that you must fill the air gap with wads or push the bullet down into the case till it touches the powder, or a combo of both. You DO NOT want an air gap over BP.
 
Back
Top Bottom