OLD LYMAN SIGHT-Do you know anything about it?

gdrew

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hi, a friend of mine asked me to sell this old Lyman sight his dad had stashed away in his basement for many years. The problem I'm having is I don't know anything about it. I did a quick Google on it and that didn't confirm what I needed to know. The only marking I can fine says "LYMAN MIDDLEFIELD CONN USA". I'm wondering if you can tell me what it came off, its approximate age, rough value and anything else that may be relevant. Thank you!


 
Yes, appears to be a Lyman No. 1A Combination Tang Sight Third Variation if it has the flip down aperture, a number 2A if screw in aperture. The A after the 1 signifies it has the locking lever on the left hand side of the upright pivot. The "DA" underneath the base of the sight is the Lyman application code denoting it is for the Winchester Model 1894 (94) in calibers 30WCF (30-30), 25-35 and 32 spl. Later boxes for the DA also note it is applicable for the Models 53 and 55. A "D" code would have decnoted it was for the Model 1894 (94) in 38-55 or 32-40 calibers, and the Model 1892 in call calibers. That said, the sight would indeed still fit on both models of rifle. As for age, the No 1A - with the locking lever -was patented on July 25, 1905 and I believe first showed up in their 1906 catalog. The sight was discontinued in 1955.
There are always lots of them on Fleabay. Check to see what they are going for to get a good idea of asking price. Just keep in mind the condition, including that someone drilled out one of the mounting holes a bit.
Matt
 
Last edited:
Matt, after taking a closer look at it I can confirm it does have the flip down aperture. I didn't know what that was so didn't want to force it but after cleaning it with some Hoppe's 9 and a toothbrush the aperture flips down as it should.

So I think I can say what we have here is a LYMAN 1A DA for a Winchester Model 1894 30-30, 25-35, 32 spl, 38-55 and 32-40 as well as the Model 1892 in all calibers. It has some rust and the rear mounting hole has been drilled out slightly...sound like a fair representation?

Thanks,
Gene
 
That sounds fair, except drop the "38-55 and 32-40 as well as the Model 1892 in all calibers". Those ones are coded "D". Though, you may add a note that it will fit on an 1892.

This is what you are looking for: " LYMAN 1A DA for a Winchester Model 1894 (94) in calibers 30-30, 25-35, 32 spl, as well as the Models 53 and 55".

Hope this helps:)

Matt

Matt
 
Last edited:
That sounds fair, except drop the "38-55 and 32-40 as well as the Model 1892 in all calibers". Those ones are coded "D".

This is what you are looking for: " LYMAN 1A DA for a Winchester Model 1894 (94) in calibers 30-30, 25-35, 32 spl, as well as the Models 53 and 55".

Hope this helps:)

Matt

Matt

It does very much, thank you!
 
Back
Top Bottom