old Remington SXS question

ceb

CGN Regular
Rating - 98.8%
81   1   0
Hi all, have a lead on an old 10ga hammer gun, said to be fluid steel, sorry no pics, haven't seen it yet but sounds to be all there in respectable shape. E. Remington & Sons with patent dates of 1871 and 1872....thinking possibly a model 1889? To those in the know, how desirable a piece is this if it were in good solid condition? Suppose it's in NRA antique VG to Fine condition, do you think it would fetch more or less than $500 in Canada? I thank you in advance to avoid cluttering the post.
 
$500.00 is in the ball park, give or take but probably at the high end. But it depends on the particular model. If it is a higher grade, then value will be higher. The Remington double barrels were very well built guns which are greatly under appreciated in North America compared to other American brand names. Hence, they don't hold the same value---yet. They are every bit as good, if not better, than those other brands, in my opinion.
If the gun is indeed all there and quite decent, I would have no problem buying it for around $500.00 if my intent was to shoot it. Of course $400.00 is better! But give the gun a good inspection. Any work needed detracts from value. If the bores have substantial pitting internally, well........
 
Last edited:
I would expect the gun to have damascus barrels. I have definitely seen hammerless Remingtons with damascus barrels and think they were sold up until 1920 or a bit later. As long as the barrels appear to be in good shape, I think it would be safe to shoot with moderate pressure loads. I would hesitate to use heavy loads in the gun

cheers mooncoon
 
A blurb (below) of what I found on the net regarding the model 1889. It is possible they are steel barrels.

Charles Semmer has done more active research on Remingtons than anyone else, so I’ll let him explain the differences among the lower grades: “Grade 1 is the only one that contains decarbonized steel barrels, Grade 2 has twist steel barrels and Grade 3, Damascus. Remember, the 1880s was still a time when twist or Damascus barrels was one sign of a top-quality gun. - See more at: http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/last-of-the-great-hammer-guns/#sthash.F1pVsGKv.dpuf
 
Last edited:
“Grade 1 is the only one that contains decarbonized steel barrels, Grade 2 has twist steel barrels and Grade 3, Damascus. Remember, the 1880s was still a time when twist or Damascus barrels was one sign of a top-quality gun. -

Today we refer to both twist and damascus steel as damascus. In the 1800s twist I think was the figure 8 pattern created by twisting the strip of forge welded steel before forming it into a tube. Damascus was forge welded steel formed into a tube without twisting. Hope I have that right and not reversed. While Remington continued selling damacus (or pattern welded) barrels I think into the 1920s or a bit longer, I am not sure to what extent they were using up old stock and to what extent they continued actually making the steel. I think shooters continued to ask for damascus for some time after the introduction of fluid steel, partly because the metal was attractive and partly because it took a while for confidence in a new material to be generally accepted

cheers mooncoon
 
I had a 12 ga Rem 1889 for several years and shot lots of BP loads but never smokeless. It was the basic model but I think it still had damascus barrels although not absolutely sure and I no longer have it. It was strong and reliable. I bought it for $100 and sold it for $150. The 10 ga version might fetch a bit more....
 
Back
Top Bottom