Original 1858 spec's

From what I have read they were sighted in for 75 yards so they would likely hit high at 10-25 yards.
On the weekend I took a second generation Colt Third Model Dragoon to the range and it was hitting about 6 inches high at 10 yards, the POA on these was set at 50 yards back in the day.
I was using 55 grains of Goex and a 1/8 inch wad under a .454 round ball, the guy shooting next to me said it sounded like a cannon. The Dragoon is a big gun and very sturdy so it can take big loads all day long, as with most of my cap and ball guns there was the occasional jam due to those pesky caps. I was using Remington #10 and CCI #10 and they were about the same in terms of jamming up the works.
 
Most or all of the american handguns that I have shot, shoot quite high at 25 yards. I suspect that in part it may be because during the civil war, the cavalry would charge towards the enemy while shooting at them with their handguns hence the guns seem to be sighted for 75 yards or more. At least that is the way it seems to me.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom