Original Remington Revolving Rifle

BSA Jack

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
A Picture Just For Fun For Sunday: Going through some old picture albums and came across this picture with My Dad (second from right) and my Uncle (on the right) on an antelope hunt if you can believe it :rolleyes: in the thirties or forties ? I think as I remember the story. Anyways my Dad is holding his original Remington Revolving Rifle and stuck in his belt is the 1858 C & B Rem. pistol that I sold to Mrclean a while back. The rifle as I remember was a 44, sure wish I would have been a model kid, I might have ended up with it. Cheers

403954929.jpg
 
Wow! That is really cool. Mind if I print that picture off to go with the pistol ?

If you come across anymore I would very muc like to see them! The pistol fires great and is damn accurate! Thanks again!

Cheers, McLean
 
There weren't a lot of those revolving rifles made back then,different sources have it from 2500-4000 units. An original would be quite rare and if in good shape probably fairly valuable.
There are a few draw-backs to shooting them as well, not the least of which is the face full of particles you get every time it goes off. It has to be held in an odd fashion so you don't get a blast to your arm from the cylinder gap.
 
I have posted this picture before but thought it would fit in this thread,this is a reproduction by Uberti in .44 cal.
I had it at the range a while back and did some testing to see how it performs...with 24 grains of Goex FFFG it averaged 1042 Feet/Second with 18 grains it clocked at 810 FPS.

NewgunsApril92011001.jpg

NewgunsApril92011003.jpg
 
Skinny that's cool, , 1042 is getting close to most factory 44-40 , you could get more powder in there too couldn't you, Is that a 200 grain or 240 ?, just too much fun, guess no chance of ever having an original so should try to find one like yours. Very nice. Yep Dad had arms, did a little boxing too,
 
I was using a 140 grain round ball,haven't had much luck loading bullets into revolvers. Next time out I am going to try 24 grains of Triple Seven (I know... it's blasphemy :eek:) as I have some left over from earlier days.
I compared 18 grains of Goex FFFG to 18 grains of Triple Seven in an 1851 Navy and here are the results:

Goex FFFG = 776 Feet/Second

Triple Seven = 929 Feet/Second
 
Skinny, Just wasn't thinking of course you might be using a ball. SURE not telling you to do this but many many years ago when I used to shoot my Uncles 1858 44 Rem. pistol He had a conical mold that as I remember was about 240 grains and about .450 ? he patched bullets with cigarette paper, pushed them down on I think well over about 35 grains BP and smeared some concoction in the end --anyways talk about buck and kick and smoke -- how fast they went or how accurate I sure don't know but it was a pretty big deal to a "skinny kid" :D
 
Back
Top Bottom