Painfully simple 7.62x39mm question....

I think all this "corrosive" is overrated. I have a Mosin-Nagant rifle dated 1898, it fought in 4 wars at least shooting corrosive ammo... but still, it has good bore (not perfect, but the gun is over 100 years old!).

I think my shooting areas and gun storage must be super dry because just out of curiosity I left a crappy SKS for 5 days without touching it. There were no signs of anything corrosive anywhere on the gun. That being said, I always try to clean them up as soon as I get home still. I enjoy tearing guns apart.
 
Late July, 2009; I took a friend to the range on a beautiful, hot day and intro'd him to our world of shooting. Liked the .22, LOVED the SKS!! Shoots @ 200-250 rnds.
Late today, 2010; Just realized the SKS was put away without its customary strip-n-clean. Oh crap.......I got a bad feeling about this!
 
Late July, 2009; I took a friend to the range on a beautiful, hot day and intro'd him to our world of shooting. Liked the .22, LOVED the SKS!! Shoots @ 200-250 rnds.
Late today, 2010; Just realized the SKS was put away without its customary strip-n-clean. Oh crap.......I got a bad feeling about this!

Take pictures, bro.
 
Late July, 2009; I took a friend to the range on a beautiful, hot day and intro'd him to our world of shooting. Liked the .22, LOVED the SKS!! Shoots @ 200-250 rnds.
Late today, 2010; Just realized the SKS was put away without its customary strip-n-clean. Oh crap.......I got a bad feeling about this!
It has probably completely disintegrated by now. Just pray that it didn't spread to your other guns.;)
 
Update

Late July, 2009; I took a friend to the range on a beautiful, hot day and intro'd him to our world of shooting. Liked the .22, LOVED the SKS!! Shoots @ 200-250 rnds.
Late today, 2010; Just realized the SKS was put away without its customary strip-n-clean. Oh crap.......I got a bad feeling about this!

Just had a look at the SKS; Considering it sat for over 6 months without a cleaning, the bore was not too bad. A couple of passes with the bore snake and its all good. The gas tube and op-rod were dirty/corroded but still not as bad as when I left it over night back on the coast. Those little decessitant packs in the vault really work!
 
Those little decessitant packs in the vault really work!
I tried those too but they seemed to fill up once every 1-2 weeks in the summer and it was a pain to change them before they overflow. (mind you my safes are of the CrappyTire type which are full o holes and let air through all the loose cracks in the doors.)

Now I just keep a dehumidifier in the gun room when the weather is humid and set it at 30% to keep any wood from cracking and still keep the rust off.
 
Back
Top Bottom