patches, lube and more

hannibal

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Location
kelowna BC
I have read the sticky and done some searches, but as a noob to BP I am going to ask some specific questions here.


1: Concerning home made patch lube of varying formulae: Why do the recipes call for windshield washer blue? The blue is regular season and will freeze below zero, winter washer fluid won't freeze, hence neither will my lube. Can winter or all season washer fluid be used?

2: I would also like to cut my own patches for .490" round ball. I have found lots of information on fabric weights, thicknesses and properties, but.. What size squares does one pre-cut for a .490" round ball?

3:I do intend to hunt with my .50 Hawken once I get more dialed in. Should I be using round ball, Maxi- balls or sabots for deer sized game, or is it simply a matter of preference? I also appreciate that I will be shooting under 100m when hunting with BP.

I look forward to your assistance.
 
2: I would also like to cut my own patches for .490" round ball. I have found lots of information on fabric weights, thicknesses and properties, but.. What size squares does one pre-cut for a .490" round ball?

3:I do intend to hunt with my .50 Hawken once I get more dialed in. Should I be using round ball, Maxi- balls or sabots for deer sized game, or is it simply a matter of preference? I also appreciate that I will be shooting under 100m when hunting with BP.

after you have found your material you do not need to pre cut it
you put your lubed patch material down on top of the barrel put a round ball on top and seat it below the top and then cut it off --- then seat it down on your powder charge (i use a pc of cloth App 3" by 12") start low and work up to max (and when you loose accuracy you have reached where the patch is loosing it and you need heaver patch fabric(stronger)

for hunting i would use sabots with what ever bullet you find works best for you --- if you load 44mag/45colt get the sabots that fit and use almost any copper or lead bullet (i would use cast lead bullet (soft if possible))
i use lube with the sabots

i can fire 20 plus rounds with out cleaning--- if i have problems seating a sabot i use more lube (using wonder lube or bore butter)
20th round seats more easier than the first and look for a lube ring on the end of the muzzle-- and if patching -->finding your patch on the range can tell you things when you look at it

do not exceed load charge for the weight of bullet you are shooting:D:D
 
With the wiper fluid I think that its the detergents and ammonia that are the active ingredients. Other things can be used too.

What bullet you use depends primarly on the rifling you have. Round balls go with 1 in 66 and similar really slow twists. Maxi's and mini's are for the faster 1 in 48 or so though that twist will shoot a round ball with lighter loads. Just not so good for hunting.

The sabots will need an even faster twist. Not even sure what numbers they go with 1 in 28 maybe?
 
hannibal, I would use round balls for practice and hunting. I have taken many whitetails over the years with ball and bullet and have found the ball works better than most bullets, and the rifle is way easier to clean. I use a grease lube for hunting because I don't want a liquid to dry out when the rifle is loaded all day, but I use a liquid lube for plinking. Hopps makes a good balck powder lube called #9+. I got my lubes recipies from the muzzleloading forum, they are called Stumpy's moose snot and Stumpy's moose juice.
 
patches for round ball

square is alright but ive found round are easier to use and no need for patch knife. make mine using a 1 1/8" ball bearing with a i" i.d. tube. 4 taps of the hammer on .012 material makes your patch. make over 100 per hour. this patch works well for.45 cal up to.58-my wife shoots .36 so i use a 3/4" tube for her patches. finding the bal l could be an issue-think mine came from a hydraulic pump application. regards, have fun
 
1: Concerning home made patch lube of varying formulae: Why do the recipes call for windshield washer blue?

Probably calls for blue because that is the most common where the original poster is. I personally prefer about 20% water soluable cutting oil and the rest water then add about 4 oz of isopropyl alcohol per liter. The alcohol is to stop the lube going moldy over time. Water based lubes are desireable (and 3F powder) to minimize fouling during target shooting. I can and have shot 60 - 70 shots without cleaning.
For hunting I prefer a lube which does not dry out and use Fluid Film which is a light spray on grease.

3:I do intend to hunt with my .50 Hawken once I get more dialed in. Should I be using round ball, Maxi- balls or sabots for deer sized game, or is it simply a matter of preference? I also appreciate that I will be shooting under 100m when hunting with BP.

Inline rifles intended for sabots have a twist rate of 1:26" or thereabouts. Most production guns of a traditional style run 1:48 and will shoot round ball but may be fussy about powder charge for best accuracy. While they do shoot maxi and mini balls, those projectiles are not accepted in traditional competition because of target damage

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom