You could extend the tang then drill & tap the extension. Depending on what the back of the breech plug looks like, you may be able to make a mechanical connection rather than welding an extension on there.
Good ideas - Or, in a similar fashion, cut the existing tang off completely and weld longer tang, just to completely hide the seam? I've done that before; if you're considering inletting anyway that is a clean way of doing it.
Another alternative could be to use the existing tang screw and D&T another smaller hole (or just D&T two new small holes, like a #8 0r #10) then have the extension sitting on top of the wood (no inletting) and as long as you have two screws on it, it won't move.
...I'm starting to think I might be better off, just ditching the rifle and upgrading to a T/C.
If it were me, I would be inclined to leave the existing tang and weld the extension rather than cutting the tang off. A breech plug ~should~ be ok, but I don't really like getting that much heat near anything 'barrel related'
That being said, from the photo the existing tang width looks to be about 3/8" I'd bet $$ on it actually, just seems that gun manufacturer's make things in convenient dimensions..... So, yea, 15 minutes with a 3/8" end mill another 20 with a good file, bend to shape & inlet....
So... I sold my Traditions Hawken and upgraded to a T/C. Looks like the two choices for a T/C peep are the Williams FP-Hawken or the Lyman RS-57-SML.
I'll still have to get the tang drilled and tapped for a second mounting screw and I'm hoping to not have to replace the front sight if possible.
Any one have any experience with either of these sights? Suggestions as to which one to get? The Lyman comes with two peep disks.
M
I've got the Lyman. Quite happy with it.
How about a Pedersoli ghost ring sight ....
Available from where? MarStar shows sold out. Pedersoli?
M
Another option that I am looking into for my needs is a Skinner sight ...



























