Percusion cap side by side shot gun

qqqquuuu

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have just aquired a side by side percusion cap black powder shot gun mussle loader. It look very old but has no markings what so ever. Are there nay gun nutters here that could help determine what I have got if I sent some pics.
 
Not without some markings. There were hordes of percussion lock shotguns made both in Europe and North America by hordes of small gun makers. Without markings it's virtually impossible to tell who or where it was made.
Ever had the stock off? Might be some proof marks under the stock on the barrel. Proof marks will give you a country at least.
 
On the top of the barrel on the piece between the to barrels is the word "laminated".
Under the bottom right barrel where the barrel is hidden by the stock there is a star with the letter Z under it, the # 18.2, the letters OD ( not sure about the D)., and a star with the letter L under it. Under the left barrel the is the # 15, a symbol that looks like an arrow with the letters TN (I think) beside it a start with the letter Z under it, a star with the letter L under it, the # 63 and a circle with the letter E ontop the letters LG and a diamond (I think under the letters) all inside the circle.
The barrel is attached to the for stock with a flat piece of metal like a flat reatainer pin, similar to the blade pins that hold old navt colts together. Every part in the gun has tool marks on the hidden surfaces and every single piece appears to be hand made.
Even identical left / right side plates are not the same, screw ( the orriginla ones apear to be hand made as well....

Is this gun worth anything.
 
I just did a little research and the barrel is a Damascus type manufactured in belgum sometime between 1810 and 1853.
 
I just did a little research and the barrel is a Damascus type manufactured in belgum sometime between 1810 and 1853.

The 18.2 is the bore diameter in millimeters. The oval stamp with ELG* is the belgian proof stamp and what you are describing as looking like an arrow sounds vaguely like a perron which I would describe as like a miniature Eiffel Tower. The perron was a view mark but I think only used on cartridge guns. The star over letter is a view mark or initial proof mark prior to finishing the gun and prior to the definitive proof of *ELG
Without photos and inspection of the barrels and locks and so forth, price would be a wild guess. In shooting condition, locally it would be lucky to go for much more than $300 and with major problems the price would be far less.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom