Pieper Arms co. barrel value

next_of_kin

Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Location
FV, BC
I was given this barrel that wa headed for the dumpster. It's of no use to me, so I was hopin' that you guys might know what it's worth.
It's a 30" double barrel. On the one barrel it says PIEPER ARMS CO. and the other one says MODIFIED DIANA. On the top of the strip that joins the two barrels it says COMPRESSED STEEL. The finish is quite worn. Any info would be useful. Thanks.
IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg
 
It was made in Belgium and probably after 1898 based on the crown over oval elg proof mark. In shooting condition I would guess around $150 locally

cheers mooncoon
 
Holy smoke...less powder! I never would have guessed it would be worth that much! Thanks a lot for the reply MOONCOON. I will get a local gunsmith I know of to check out the shootability of it. Now is that $150 estimate taking into consideration the poor finish left on the barrel? If anyone has interest in this piece feel free to speak up.
 
Now my bubble is feelin a little burst. Tiriaq, what do you mean "area"? Are you talkin' Western Canada, or are you talkin' the "area" of condition that the finish is in?
I really appreciate the feedback guys! Thanks!
 
Belgian guns were economy guns and lock parts often worn. While yours has steel barrels as opposed to damascus, it is not suitable for steel shot and most modern shells. The outside of the barrels is much less important than the inside of the barrels (pitting) and if the locks need rebuilding, or the barrels badly pitted it quickly drops to the $25 range even in this area. My original price is based on the gun being in good working order and tight when closing up but either way it is a hard sell. By comparison a high quality english hammer gun from the late 1800s could commonly sell for $500 to perhaps as high as $1000.

cheers mooncoon
 
If you have the entire gun it might bring $100, but if all you have is the barrrels (which is what i understand from your description) it's basically scrap.
 
This is just a pair of detached barrels, and not a shotgun?
I'm in ON, doubt that a pair of detached Belgian barrels would be particularly saleable. A set of really nice barrels for a high grade gun might have some value, if there was a chance they could be fitted to a gun. There is a very limited market for quality breechloading barrels to be used to rebuild into a set of muzzleloading barrels for a repro. flint or percussion double gun.
I have a pair of Charles Lancaster oval bore rifled barrels that I have owned for close to 40 years. A Lancaster double has never come my way - and even then there is only a slight chance they could be fitted. Made up into a double flint deer rifle, they might be pretty special.
 
A set of economy grade belgian barrels might fetch $25. I think mooncoon meant that the gun would be worth $150 in shooting condition.

I am going to have to correct myself; I thought that it was a complete gun that was captured. As just barrels, I have 10 or 15 sets that I bought for $10 per pair to use in sleeving other guns.

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks, you guys. So much for having something rare and valueable. Back to the basement it goes

Dude! You were given it for FREE! It was going to be THROWN AWAY!

As if that wasn't a clue! :D

Clean the part up. Scrub out the bore. Wait patiently. Someone may eventually come along and need it, but in the meantime... Its a kinda neat bit of miscellany to have around.

It's usefulness may be to someone that needs a set of barrel tubes that they can fit to a completely different gun. Who knows, though.

I've seen similar orphaned sets of tubes with $25 stickers on them, not sell at gun shows. Not exactly an English "Best" gun.

Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom