Many better quality percussion guns had what I was always told are platinum plugs that would blow out to relieve breech pressures that might otherwise damage the gun. I have never heard of one actually blowing out but there must have been a valid reason why the better makers installed them.
Regardless, I wonder if anyone has ever removed one of these from an original gun to learn whether they are threaded into the breech snail and whether they are actually platinum or some other white metal.
I ask because I am finishing an English half-stock percussion fowler and there is threaded hole in the side of the snail to accommodate a blow-out plug or steel clean-out screw. It is currently threaded for a 10 -32 machine screw. If I were to try to create a platinum plug, where could I purchase said platinum?
Regardless, I wonder if anyone has ever removed one of these from an original gun to learn whether they are threaded into the breech snail and whether they are actually platinum or some other white metal.
I ask because I am finishing an English half-stock percussion fowler and there is threaded hole in the side of the snail to accommodate a blow-out plug or steel clean-out screw. It is currently threaded for a 10 -32 machine screw. If I were to try to create a platinum plug, where could I purchase said platinum?


















































