Please Remove... Winchester 1873, Around 1887, worth?

X2! Wow, that man cannot not have been much of a collector, or the condition of the rifle was way overstated. Yes, it is an honest 73 with some reloading equipment - certainly not taking anything away from the gun - but, not worth anywhere near $5,000. More like around the $2,000 ish range for the whole kit maybe?? He should have also known the hole in the buttstock was for the cleaning rod which came with the rifle when it left the factory. Not for ammuntion. Nothing to get excited about there. The weather cover, as you call it, is the dust or mortise cover to keep out dust, dirt, etc.
Nice 73, but not a $5,000 gun. An 1873 in 38-40 would have to be in very high condition to command that kind of money.
Just my 2 cents, hope it is of some help.
Matt
 
Matt74 is right on the money. The '73 I purchased before the one I have currently, was a 38-40 from 1890 that was in slightly nicer condition with nicer wood. I paid $2,000 for it and sold it for about the same. As Matt said, $2,000-ish is about right.
 
Yeah, get the 5K before the guys in the white coats with butterfly nets come and take the prospective buyer back to the puzzle factory.

Maybe the guys in the white coats should watch the EE. There are lots of well-used old winchester rifles that are priced at 2-3 times what they are worth. I bet you know of some yourself.

When a seller overprices a rifle he's "crafty"; but when a buyer overvalues it we say he's nuts. Personally I'd prefer the company of an honest nut over the dishonest arsehole any time.
 
Last edited:
Maybe the guys in the white coats should watch the EE. There are lots of well-used old winchester rifles that are priced at 2-3 times what they are worth. I bet you know of some yourself.

When a seller overprices a rifle he's "crafty"; but when a buyer overvalues it we say he's nuts. Personally I'd prefer the company of an honest nut over the dishonest arsehole any time.

Yes, there are several well used Winchesters on the EE priced at several times what they are worth and that is where they remain. No one buys them so they sit there.
 
Try throwing out another idea-it may be that the loading equipment in original box is a substantial part of the equation. Just as in cased Colt revolvers or cased duellers-sometimes the case and bits are worth as much as the piece. Just a thought 'cause I don't know. Anybody else got info on this possibility?
 
Back
Top Bottom