pls remove

I am guessing that your gun may have been made by Ethan Allen in one of his several partnerships. He made a several different iron framed muzzle loaders. I also think that the trigger guard is a somewhat buggered up replacement

cheers mooncoon
 
I agree with Mooncoon.
The Ethan Allen boxlock shotguns were made in the late 1860's, and may have used smoothbored surplus rifled musket barrels.
I had a good look at that gun when it was at Switzers Auction. The trigger guard is a replacement. The gun would respond to some TLC.
That gun was one of a batch leaning in the corner that I am sure came from Newfoundland.
 
Thanks for the replies. I googled Ethan Allen shotguns and found a near identical rifle: http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=993&aid=25536&lid=7312320 This is a shotgun... I am learning.

Tiriaq, if you seen this before, that is quite possible (Bancroft would have been a 4 hr ride for the previous owner) The trigger guard does now appear replaced as per the solder job. Indeed some TLC needed. Interesting it may actually have a Newfoundland connection. Do you recall what it sold for? Thanks again.
 
"...clearing rod holders..." Ram rod. Looks like it went into the forestock.
"...The action does work..." That doesn't mean it's safe to shoot. Nipple's rusted and likely rusted in. Trigger guard looks like it was bent to fit.
 
Back
Top Bottom