Prepping a Black Powder bullet mould

Yeti

Regular
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hi Guys,

I have a couple of new bullet moulds for my .50ML. The instructions call for coating the mould with carbon soot before use. Any body got suggestions on what the best way to do this is.

Thanks
 
I use a candle and keep it close to the mold to get "soot" from the yellow part of the flame.
Here are a couple of pictures of a 150 year old .31 Colt mold which still makes usable balls and bullets.
Once you get into production you don't need to add more soot unless the balls start to stick.

31Mold004jpg.jpg


31Mold003jpg.jpg
 
I would only do that as a last resort, lube the bottom of the sprue plate, sprue plate screw, and indexing pins with Bullplate. Don't put anything, even soot, in the cavities. Where did that info come from??
 
clean the mold in hot water or with high % alcohol to remove all the factory oil(its from when thay cut the mold)

and just a little oil on the sprue plate screw once the mold get's hot enough thay will not stick
 
I am using Lee molds which are made of aluminum, the instructions recommend using soot to condition the mold so that is what I do...so far no problems.
 
ball moulds

i use the candle on brass mould only just to get going. for steel or alum i don't bother -just heat them evenly with a propane torch-especially the top plate or sprue cutter then start pouring. keep an eye on lead temp-if they start to look frosted cool down a bit until they are shiney again. enjoy
 
Lee instructions say to degrease then smoke the aluminum mold before using it and I have found it works well. Lyman and other makers of steel molds say degrease well, heat up and start pouring - no conditioning required - and I have found that works well.
 
If i was doing it
Clean mould ---> hot water and soap and old tooth brush
cast bullets
if they come out wrinkled or not filled in (you need more heat )
and i would not even look at the first 20-25 bullets an just toss them back in to the pot -- use the last few to judge the heat

For a ML 95% of casters use pure lead (soft)
and when I cast using pure lead none of the bullets are perfect (Some maybe 99.9%)

pure lead does not cast well (not complete fill out ) small wrinkles
toss the deep /heavy wrinkled ones back in the pot and add more heat

if lead get too hot they will frost up
if they are frosted and as long as they fill out completly they are ok
sometimes if too hot bullets will be under sized when they drop from the mould

and if as a last resort you have to carbon up a mould

Do Not use a candle

use a match or a BBQ lighter

the wax in a candle flame will give you problems

Wishing you luck in your new sport
 
I was wondering about candle wax in the fumes causing problems. I have a Minie mould and I'm worried about the centre cavity sticking.
 
I was wondering about candle wax in the fumes causing problems. I have a Minie mould and I'm worried about the centre cavity sticking.

Not an issue. I've used candle smoke (or even match smoke) to aid in release as specified in my molds. Seeing as you flux your lead with a ball of wax, sawdust etc for its carbon content I wouldn't worry.
 
Back
Top Bottom