Problem with UPS and antique firearms Customs Update

declared value is insurance, always high.

those prices look like express shipping, not ground. It also looks like no commercial account was used, so it went full tariff.
 
I asked the company I bought the pistol from to ship via USPS, which they had done many times in the past. I was told they would no longer do this due to problems shipping firearms to Canada being returned to them, not just modern guns but antiques also, and was informed I would have to open an account with FedEX and provide them with an Account Number before they would ship.

Yes they were shipped Express which is called International Priority by FedEx. When I asked the shipper why they shipped via International Priority instead of Ground, I was told FedEx would only ship firearms to Canada, including antiques, via International Priority.

No tube of lube was provided. If it had I'm sure the cost of shipping would have been prohibitive.

I hope oldiron will keep us informed how he made out with FedEX.

Being on the stupid end of the scale, I never thought to try and open a Commercial Account with FedEX, as I am not a business and do not have a GST #, but perhaps it can be done.

Regards
 
CanAm

If the Declared Value is the cost to insure the parcel, it is indeed high. Works out to 33.3%, and I don't know if this covers just loss, or loss/damage.

Regards
 
Update:
The revolver I purchased is a Colt Thunderer 1877 serial number 613XX in 41 Colt. Now the retailer says that the revolver was manufactured in 1887 and my checks also says that 1887 is the date. I just recieved a phone call from a agent from Customs Canada who asked me if I had a import permit for 'these types of prohibited firearms'. I said that the revolver was a antique firearm manufactured before Jan. 1 1898 and the caliber 41 Colt was permitted by the antique firearm regulations, and that the serial number was proof that the revolver was produced in 1887. The agent just said that package had been opened the revolver examined and it was determined that it was a 'prohibited' firearm and that if I didn't have a importation permit the firearm would have to be returned to the seller.
Is he/she willing to call the CFC tech person? Is he/she willing to hold it until CFC can fax an antique status letter to the customs agent? If the customs agent is stepping outside the law you should talk to a superior.
 
Hi Win 38-55

During my brief conversation with the customs agent (a he)- I made mention of Canadian regulations concerning antique firearms in particular antique handguns. I gave him the link to the RCMP web page detailing antique regulations. The agent had no time for any regulations on antique firearms-in his own words 'the firearm has been deemed to be a prohibited firearm in Canada the only way this firearm can be imported into Canada is to a business or individual who has the necessary importation licence. If you do not have the licence being in possession of this firearm would be a felony.' He had no interest in contacting the CFC because the firearm wasn't (in his view of course) an antique but a prohibited one. Since my original posting UPS has returned the revolver to the gun store in California, the store owner has double checked the serial numbers-which all match and has just today re-shipped the Colt back to me (this time by USPS). We'll see if it makes it here this time.

Cheers David
 
I'm not sure that contacting the CFC would do much good anyway.

I recently started the process to obtain an antique letter from the CFC. They tell me that it typically takes 30 days to obtain verification of antique status; that's a long time to wait at the fax machine.
 
Last edited:
Hi Win 38-55

During my brief conversation with the customs agent (a he)- I made mention of Canadian regulations concerning antique firearms in particular antique handguns. I gave him the link to the RCMP web page detailing antique regulations. The agent had no time for any regulations on antique firearms-in his own words 'the firearm has been deemed to be a prohibited firearm in Canada the only way this firearm can be imported into Canada is to a business or individual who has the necessary importation licence. If you do not have the licence being in possession of this firearm would be a felony.' He had no interest in contacting the CFC because the firearm wasn't (in his view of course) an antique but a prohibited one. Since my original posting UPS has returned the revolver to the gun store in California, the store owner has double checked the serial numbers-which all match and has just today re-shipped the Colt back to me (this time by USPS). We'll see if it makes it here this time.

Cheers David

David are you certin the gun is in 41 Long colt and not 38 Long Colt.
Whats the barrel length?

My thinking on this is the customs that checks the Fedex and UPS stuff is not the same group that check the USPS Mail.
So because no one hardly ships Antique handguns UPS or Fedex because of all the rapeing and problems.
I think this group of customs doesnt know squat about the antique gun laws because there not exposed to it often enough.

The ones working in the Postal plants do know.
Thats the only reason i can see this comeing up.

If it was 41 long colt was it a shorter than 4 inch barrel?

Because thats the other thing that group of customs might not know that theres no barrel length restrictions on antique firearms and thats why your getting this B.S.
The reason i ask barrel length is for a revolver to be Prohibed it must be 32 caliber or have a shorter than 4 inch barrel.

It would help if you would post as much info about the gun as you can.
This is why i like to have the RCMP Letters but that said i wouldnt ever use UPS or Fedex to bring in a antique gun.

You should be fine now that its comeing USPS as long as its 41 Long colt and pre 1898.
 
Hi Dingus

The Colt is chambered in 41 Long Colt and has the short 2 1/2" barrel. I figure he called it prohibited because of the barrel length. In the conversation I said at least twice that there was no barrel length restriction on antique handguns, but he was not interested in the least. He asked several times if I had a prohibited import licence for this revolver each time I said no, but that I didn't need one because the firearm is an antique. The last time he said that without such a permit it would be a felony for me to take possession and that the only solution (without confiscation of the revolver!) would be to have it shipped back to the seller. Discretion being the better part of valor I said that the revolver should then be sent back to the seller (knowing that I could have him ship it to me by USPS).

Cheers David
 
Hi Dingus

The Colt is chambered in 41 Long Colt and has the short 2 1/2" barrel. I figure he called it prohibited because of the barrel length. In the conversation I said at least twice that there was no barrel length restriction on antique handguns, but he was not interested in the least. He asked several times if I had a prohibited import licence for this revolver each time I said no, but that I didn't need one because the firearm is an antique. The last time he said that without such a permit it would be a felony for me to take possession and that the only solution (without confiscation of the revolver!) would be to have it shipped back to the seller. Discretion being the better part of valor I said that the revolver should then be sent back to the seller (knowing that I could have him ship it to me by USPS).

Cheers David

Well i hope you got his name and badge # and report his mistake to his boss. We cant have people like that in a power position not knowing the laws.

Its a barrel length that caused this not the caliber or year made other wise he woulda said restricted. He is wrong and once you pointed that out he dug in his heels instead of looking into it. Thats the worst type to have in that position. I know ive had my run ins with a few and got the cheif of customs in Vancouver involved. you cant let them push you around.

I know you solved the problem by reshipping USPS but still that fellow needs to know our laws eh.
 
Hi Dingus

The Colt is chambered in 41 Long Colt and has the short 2 1/2" barrel. I figure he called it prohibited because of the barrel length. In the conversation I said at least twice that there was no barrel length restriction on antique handguns, but he was not interested in the least. He asked several times if I had a prohibited import licence for this revolver each time I said no, but that I didn't need one because the firearm is an antique. The last time he said that without such a permit it would be a felony for me to take possession and that the only solution (without confiscation of the revolver!) would be to have it shipped back to the seller. Discretion being the better part of valor I said that the revolver should then be sent back to the seller (knowing that I could have him ship it to me by USPS).

Cheers David

Always have the seller mark the customs declaration "Pre-1898 Antique". This will give the customs guys a clue what they are looking at. If a revolver just shows up without any paperwork explaining that it is antique Customs can sometimes get strange about it if the particular officer is inexperienced. We shouldn't expect that they will research to see if the revolver is antique if we don't declare it as such.

I'd say Dingus is probably correct in that the customs people that UPS used would not be as familiar as the customs people working the mail depots and that is probably the root of your problem.
 
Last edited:
I too have been burned a couple of times by UPS. I once bought a steering wheel for an antique tractor I was restoring and paid three time the purchase price when UPS showed up with it..... scandleous.
 
Well i hope you got his name and badge # and report his mistake to his boss. We cant have people like that in a power position not knowing the laws.........I know you solved the problem by reshipping USPS but still that fellow needs to know our laws eh.

Make a formal complaint in writing to his boss. Explain that incompetance on his part has caused you undue financial expense. I always like to add that "I hope this issue will be addressed so that it does not occur again in the future" ;)
 
Hi Dingus/tactical870

I have to admit that I didn't ask for his name. The whole experience was completely new to me and caught me off guard.

For the future, try to retain that information. I would still write a letter as it can't do any harm and I'd be willing to bet his boss could still look up the incident.
 
Back
Top Bottom