problems with round ball sizes for model 1858

kgs

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Location
Prince George
I have a model 1858 rem made by Peitta. I tried to put .454 round ball in and could not get them in at all. however the manual says that .454 balls are what is required. Not wanting to force the issue I tried .445 round balls and they worked. When measuring the .454 balls they were between .456 and .460 however the .445 measured .445 to .448. I have shot the .445 balls today and found them to be pretty accurate. So why can't I use the .454 as my manual says is there some sort of manufacture issues or do some take smaller balls any ideas. Is this a trial and error thing???
 
Are the balls soft lead?
The balls should be a force fit, perhaps even shearing off a little ring of lead when seated.
 
Like tiriaq says they are supposed to be a few thou oversized and shave a nice ring off when seated. (Or the occasional revolver will have tapered chambers and swage the ball down to fit without shaving.)

It can take quite a bit of force especially if they aren't very soft pure lead.
 
just an update bought some soft lead from my local scrap yard. Wow what a difference. No problems loading the .454 ball in my model 1858. Thanks again guys for your help
 
Back
Top Bottom