Pyrodex pellets in a Hawken and cap & ball revolver

gnmontey

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Location
AB
Will pellets work in my Hawken using std 11 caps? Picked up some today and noticed when I got home that the box states "in-line":confused: Was hoping to use them hunting this year.

Thanks,

M
 
Last edited:
Not the best idea. Each pellet is 50gr. 1 is not enough and I wouldn't think you need 100gr load. In any case, the pellets really need a hot 209 cap right behind the charge. The 11's in a sidelock would have a hard time setting it off.
 
I picked up 50s and 30s to make up my std 80gr FF load, you can stack them. Nomenclature states good for 209s, caps and musket caps. The in-line thing appears to be the issue. They sell 30gr pellets for use in cap and ball revolvers, got some of those as well, but now thinking about it, a revolver cap is in-line with the charge.
 
With a sidelock, the gun is designed so that the cap lights up the powder that flows into the bolster, underneath the nipple. That is why you tap it on the side after you load the loose powder, before you seat the bullet. With pellets, nothing can flow into the bolster, as your propellant is one solid mass.

Further, Pyrodex pellets have a BP coating on one end to facilitate ignition. In an inline, that end is towards the primer. With a sidelock, your cap is to the side, and the BP coating in at the bottom of your barrel, away from the cap.

Pellets were never intended to be used in sidelocks.

Stick with loose powder. I use T7 FFFG, and Pyrodex RS in my .45 TC Hawken, with good results.
 
Aaaahhhh pooooop:( Back to pouring powder.

Anyone in the Calgary area want some 50Cal pellets cheap?

OR

Trade you for some 44cal pistol pellets?

Many thanks to all who responded:D

M
 
CCI makes a #11 Magnum Cap which might help,I gave up using them in my cap and ball revolvers due to fragmentation and the jamming that results.
 
Tried the pellets in my cap & ball 44 revolver today. They shot all over the map. Out of 12 cylinders I could account for only 2 rounds, the rest I don't know where they went. Had some pretty exciting hang fires as well.

With BP I can consistently hit a paper plate at 25 yds. Do people actually get reasonable results with pellets?

M
 
Thinking about this some more thought, do you think the fact that the pellets are 30 grain, v.s. my typical 20 gr FFF load caused the accuracy issue?

M
 
Back
Top Bottom