question for the Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanuk

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
160   0   1
why are some threads closed and others not?

I asked a question, trying to find the legalities of making homemade blackpowder, as it is becoming increasingly non-existant locally, and prohibitively expensive to have it shipped here.

this is a concern to me, and I expect others who have or are thinking about shooting flintlocks.

there is nothing inherently unsafe about making homemade BP, or storing it, as it is treated the same by NRC. If one uses common sense, there are no issues.

as to techniques, while one way works better than another, both are safe, and produce a usable product.

during the discussion, the thread gets closed.

Then I read threads about trying to get around the regulations of Antiques by making modifications to firearms that skirt the regs, some seem to be very close to the line... and discussion ensues with warnings about it, and opinions of How to do it, and such..

yet those threads are not closed.

I'm just wondering.... did I do something wrong?

I did not suggest someone break the law, or suggest a way around the regs... such as in the discussions on the antiques...
So.. what happened?

thanks
 
Perhaps its because it is in the Rules section; the manufacture of homemade explosives is specifically mentionned. Look up, waaay up, for the Rules & FAQ section.
"there is nothing inherently unsafe about making homemade BP". Oh, come on. Every commercial, professional blackpowder manufacturer has had unfortunate incidents. Dupont got out of the black powder business entirely after the last (of a series) of explosions at their Moosic plant, and powder manufacture was the original business on which Dupont was founded over 175 years ago. Dan Pawlak, inventor of Pyrodex, was killed in an explosion at the Pyrodex plant. After Sputnik, the surge of interest in amateur rocketry resulted in a spate of accidents involving homemade black powder. Mishaps are nothing new.
Black powder has and will continue to be made, but to suggest that there is nothing inherently unsafe in its production is just silly.
 
Perhaps its because it is in the Rules section; the manufacture of homemade explosives is specifically mentionned. Look up, waaay up, for the Rules & FAQ section.

Yeah.. I read that and just read it again.... appears to me to be about making explosive projectiles...

still I have to ask.

is "asking" about the legalities of doing something or how to go about it "legally", strictly prohibited? If so, how can we find out from folks who have gone before us?
 
"there is nothing inherently unsafe about making homemade BP". Oh, come on.

Every commercial, professional blackpowder manufacturer has had unfortunate incidents.

Mishaps are nothing new.

Black powder has and will continue to be made, but to suggest that there is nothing inherently unsafe in its production is just silly.

I"m not here to argue about the safety you of doing something. if you feel it is unsafe for you, then you should not do it.

I haven't councelled anyone on how to make it. nor did I suggest anyone attempt it themselves

I really was only asking about the legal aspects, requirements. I am in communications with NRC, and was just wondering if someone had gone through the exercise, and got to the bottom.

thanks for your concern though.
be assured, I don't take the risks lightly
 
I think the original posting was reasonable ie is something legal or why is it illegal as were some of the initial answers such as yes but with lots of permits and meeting lots of conditions. The problem is that the thread deteriorated into "I used to make or I have made (in the basement and without license" sort of category and nothing further relative to the legality or the permits and conditions required was forthcoming.

I have to admit, I consider a lot of the proposed caliber changes in the thread about changing a gun into an antique to be downright stupid. Rechambering to 17 rimfire or 38 special may meet the actual wording of the law but almost guarantee problems if done on a unregistered antique or done in the hopes of reclassifying an antique in a no go caliber. I keep hoping that the thread will die a natural death but it seems to keep coming back

cheers mooncoon
 
Legal questions are best asked in the legalese section. Legal questions don't tend to get threads locked but asking how to do something questionable or clearly illegal will. There are also several topics which are not allowed on CGN and are specifically mentioned in the Rules and FAQ.
 
I think the original posting was reasonable ie is something legal or why is it illegal as were some of the initial answers such as yes but with lots of permits and meeting lots of conditions. The problem is that the thread deteriorated into "I used to make or I have made (in the basement and without license" sort of category and nothing further relative to the legality or the permits and conditions required was forthcoming.

I have to admit, I consider a lot of the proposed caliber changes in the thread about changing a gun into an antique to be downright stupid. Rechambering to 17 rimfire or 38 special may meet the actual wording of the law but almost guarantee problems if done on a unregistered antique or done in the hopes of reclassifying an antique in a no go caliber. I keep hoping that the thread will die a natural death but it seems to keep coming back

cheers mooncoon

Colt actually did the SAA in 38 special and it can be legally imported, same true for 44 Russian, CBSA opens the box, checks the caliber which is on the barrel, writes up a form with the tax and send it to you.

Don't really see the difference to a rechamber, how does one know that it hasn't been rechambered before? Those things are so old.

This has nothing to do with the wording of the law, wording is something different and prune to interpretation. Exact calibers are actually mentioned and a 38 S&W is totally different to a 38 special, there is no interpretation possible. It would be up to the lawmakers to change that, as long as they don't do it, the law stands.
 
The key word is "capable of discharging" and there are 3 - 38 caliber cartridges listed. If a gun chambered for 38 special is capable of having another 38 (on the list) stuffed in the chamber and fired then it would be modern. I don't recall what caliber it was that Dingus mentioned a month or two ago, but as I recall the CFC changed its mind about on of the 44s or 45s and said that it was too close to a cartridge on the list and was now considered modern.

The point is not whether or not a cartridge is on the list or why is one considered modern and another antique but rather unless you have awfully deep pockets for legal fees, it is important keep a low profile and to choose cartridges which have a well established history of being accepted as in the antique category

cheers mooncoon
 
I have run into this damn near everywhere else too.

Goddammitalltohell fellers - I would love to make black powder for my front stuffer too, but the legal mumbo jumbo puts a gag over any intelligent conversation. The price of Goex is getting stupid but I can live with it....I just get steamed when I can't lay hands on it. I am down to about 8 lbs now and have to think about re-stocking soon - or making my own.

Can we PLEASE have this discussion? I don't want to make weapons grade bombs or fudge the gun laws, I want to make some propellant for my Spaghetti Plains rifle. What are the risks? How do I manage them?

Jeepers, if I wanted to make fuggin bombs there are any number of moslem or anarchist sites that will tell me how to do it REAL good.

Can we PM about it at least?
 
And speaking of legal ass-hattery, I was in Lock and Load in Aaaaadmontin and the friggin cops had cleaned him out! What did he do? Forget to cross a 't' or dot an 'i' on some idiot gubbermint form?

Most of the stuff in there were old antiques, war surp beaters and the odd gem. I was about the seediest person that ever went in there; usually it was old stubfarts in there flapping their gums and guzzling coffee. Sheesh, this idiot country really needs to grow up and let the women wear the panties.
 
Can we PLEASE have this discussion? I don't want to make weapons grade bombs or fudge the gun laws, I want to make some propellant for my Spaghetti Plains rifle. What are the risks? How do I manage them?

That is one of the things that is specifically prohibited way up at the top under "rules"

cheers mooncoon
 
Mooncoon: I read the FAQ's and I got the impression it was not prohibited to discuss the manufacture of BP, but in making projectiles and such.

I mean, there has to be old threads that discuss the manufacture of modern powders and how they made gun cotton and stuff.

but until I find out if it is legal, or I jump through the hoops to make it legal for me, I won't discuss it on an open forum.

same goes with BP. all one has to do is google and they can find the tutorials on it.
and I won't tell you on an open forum what key words to google either. on that you are on your own.
 
Get in line....I asked a question about Canada Post and shipping a letter to the PM's office - what if they go on strike.....how would you get it to him? Not only was that question deleted....but when I asked why it was deleted.......that question got deleted too.........let's here it for the GODS........oops......I mean MODS.....
 
just buy it with out the right license it can land you terroristic charges becuse you making a so called explosive (black powder is use for more the firearms and blowing things up)

to me blackpowder is a propellant but the GOV says its a explosive

order it we can have 15lb without a powder magazine since you are shooting a flintlock only real BP will work goex is the only real stuff here

order it in what ever grain size you need and 1 or 2 cans of 4f its the only way to get real stuff
 
Get in line....I asked a question about Canada Post and shipping a letter to the PM's office - what if they go on strike.....how would you get it to him? Not only was that question deleted....but when I asked why it was deleted.......that question got deleted too.........let's here it for the GODS........oops......I mean MODS.....

lol thats how it works
 
Mooncoon: I read the FAQ's and I got the impression it was not prohibited to discuss the manufacture of BP, but in making projectiles and such..

3. Manufacture or use of flammable and explosive substances or “tracer” projectiles.

I would read to include the home manufacture of black powder and other explosives whether they were used in projectiles or not. Such activity is illegal without assorted licenses and meeting various conditions and the more general rule is that we are not to discuss illegal activities. I am not alone in that interpretation.

cheers mooncoon
 
isnt there some magazines that explain this in detail one comes to mind is the backwoodsman and firefox has one volume book that has all the info a person could ever need on mountain man lifestyles.
theres lotsa info out there besides if they start discussing it here you will get 50 diffrent ideas and i wouldnt trust info got from threads like this as theres alot of so called experts tend to pop up.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom