Question regarding 7.62x39

44fordy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Location
Wrongtario
Hi Guys,

I have an Chinese SKS that uses 7.62x39. While I was picking up a turkey license from LeBaron's today, I heard the girl tell a customer they couldn't get that ammo anymore???

WTF is that all about?

I looked at the Marstar site and they have boxes of 7.62x39chzek (Military Surplus)
Am I correct in saything that would be the same stuff? Can I run any kind of 7.62x39 in my SKS?

I found this all odd as I HAVE in the past purchased 7.62x39government from LeBarons, albeit a couple years ago...

If anyone can shed any light on this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 
The Czech stuff is corrosive, but if you clean properly after shooting it is not a problem.

Now....when you say it's corrosive, that's just after discharge correct? Does this stuff have a shelf-life?

I need to store it for future civil wars and zombie attacks...
;)
 
Was this law passed? I thought the current shortage was due to the hoarding and general lack of ammo, not an export ban.

I don't know if it's a "law" but the US no longer permits export of "military" calibres including 5.56, 7.62 Nato and 7.62x39. Supply and demand in the US is affecting other cartridges like 9mm or .223.

Now....when you say it's corrosive, that's just after discharge correct? Does this stuff have a shelf-life?

I need to store it for future civil wars and zombie attacks...
;)

The primers have a salt that attracts water after firing. Basically makes the barrel/gas system more likely to rust but it isn't corrosive int the chemical sense of the word.

I'm shooting 50 year old M43 right now. It goes bang every time.
 
Last edited:
I don't know if it's a "law" but the US no longer permits export of "military" calibres including 5.56, 7.62 Nato and 7.62x39.



Have a link? I know it was discussed and announce it was probaly going to happen, but ive yet to see anything actually saying the ban came into effect. You'd think it would be all over the place (no other hunting/shooting website im a part of has came and and said the ban is actually in effect).
 
The chemical composistion that makes the primers corrosive also extends the lifespan of the primers.The powder isn't corrosive just the primers and because of the salt crystals that form when fired causing rust to form rapidly especially when humid.
 
Last edited:
Have a link? I know it was discussed and announce it was probaly going to happen, but ive yet to see anything actually saying the ban came into effect. You'd think it would be all over the place (no other hunting/shooting website im a part of has came and and said the ban is actually in effect).

The ban that was being discussed recently was a separate 'proposal' that was killed. The US export restriction on military calibres like 7.62x39, x51 and 5.56 has been in place for a while (does not apply to .308 and .223). Not sure whether it's a de jure or a de facto 'ban' (SD just not approving export permits for military calibres), but that's irrelevant since either way it's not obtainable and hasn't been for some time.
 
Back
Top Bottom