Rating an antique shotgun barrel

Polar_Hunter

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Need some advise from those of you that restore and shoot antique shotguns. I recently got some parts from a Tower shotgun (10 gauge I think) and, as I have no interest in this kind of thing I want to sell these parts. I'm just not sure how to "rate" the barrels condition so as not to disappoint whoever gets it. (I got a bad one myself this year and know the feeling)

The outside looks good, with the usual coat of even rust. No major pitting. I find it difficult to describe the bore. About halfway down the tube it has what looks like tooling marks, is that possible? I can see a few dark spots that look like pitting but I don't think that they are deep. There is no bulging and the tang came off without any difficulty.

Any input is welcome.
 
Is this the barrel that went with the lock and parts in your other ad? You don't mention flintlock, conversion to percussion or original percussion.
"Tower" usually refers to the Tower of London. Many service arms were assembled there. Do you have the remains of a shotgun, or a sported service musket? 10 gauge would suggest a Brown Bess.
I would suggest you find out exactly what you are selling. Photos would be best, but accurate descriptions would be a start.
 
I also plug the touch hole and fill the barrel up with oil to look for pinhole leaks in the barrel of its Damascus.
 
I also plug the touch hole and fill the barrel up with oil to look for pinhole leaks in the barrel of its Damascus.

I think that a barrel would have to be pretty bad to fail that test. You are far better off to drop a small light down the barrel and look for deep pitting. There are small diameter LEDs intended to go in the nock end of an arrow, that work very well. Also some types of ball point pens have a flashlight in the cap, which can be removed and used the same way

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom