Real Bullets and BP rifle help

Salmo

Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Newbie Question for the BP rifle shooters. I recently bought a pendersoli - Kentuckian style rifle, see link below for a picture. I have shot ball out of it, but wondering if there is any reason why I couldn shoot the "Real Bullets" from it as well. Also, if I can, do you think it would make a significant difference in accuracy and range?

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_91/rifles-kentucky-kentucky-flintlock-model.html



Thanks
 
Salmo: It would depend on the rifling pitch, or rate of twist of your rifle's barrel. Generally speaking, the slower twist barrels are better with patched ball. Faster twist favours conicals. For example 1:60" twist in a 50 caliber muzzleloader would work well for patched bal. A 1:24" pitch would be more suitable for conical bullets. In between is the compromise pitch: 1:48" Commonly found in many contemporary muzzleloaders. This pitch will allow either ball or bullet to be used, but favours neither. A first step would be to measure the twist in your rifle, if not already shown in your instruction manual. In my opinion, neither ball or bullet offers any accuracy advantage. That is more a function of rifle, shooter skill and consistency in loading technique. Range, perhaps. A conical bullet will tend to carry better energy once the range exceeds 100 meters.
 
I shoot R.E.A.L. 330 grain bullets out of my .54cal Investarms flinter with a 1:48 twist, I got the mould (Lee) with the rifle so that is what I use. It seems to be accurate but I haven't shot patched ball to compare with.
As advertised the bullet clears the fouling and I have shot it 36 times in a row without running a cleaning patch down the bore.
If you are planning on taking the rifle into the bush it is advised to ram a stiff wad down on top of the bullet to keep it pressed against the powder as it could loosen up being knocked around.

 
Last edited:
I just checked Pedersoli website. The Kentucky flinter, and percussion have 1/48 twist rate, your rifle will shoot either patched round ball or short conical, such as the real bullet, equally well.
Glen
 
Salmo: You will like the REAL bullet. Been using these in both .50 and .54 caliber for many years. An excellent hunting bullet. Accurate, too. If you have a .50 caliber rifle, I suggest the 320 grain REAL bullet as a good choice. Your rifle may like a specific powder charge, but 90-100 grains Ffg black powder and the 320 REAL bullet make a good combination. The 1:48" pitch will shoot patched ball with good accuracy, too. Anywhere between 65 and 80 grains FFg and a .490" ball should shoot well. A non-traditional approach to muzzleloading is the use of saboted sub-caliber bullets. 90-100 grains FFg with a saboted 44 caliber/ 240 grain pistol bullet will deliver good accuracy and is suitable for deer and other sized animals. You may not choose to shoot these, but worth considering, just the same.
 
OP, as others have stated you are on the right track with R.E.A.L. bullets. I shoot ball, R.E.A.L. and Minnie ball out of my Thompson Hawken in .50. You will need to adjust either sights or powder charge (or both) if taking shots out to 100 yards. The R.E.A.L. projectile is one and a half times heavier than ball, the Minnie is 2 X's heavier than ball. Up close I find it makes little difference in accuracy, but if you reach out to 100 yards with the same charge the rate of drop is almost unbelievable (8 inches). Be aware of this if you're hunting.

I enjoy using R.E.A.L. booletts at the range because as Skinny says, you just don't have to worry about fouling. Damn near shoot all day no problem. ( use pure lead and lube mind you, I use BB.)
 
Back
Top Bottom