Reccomendations for Brown Bess Info Resources

Blegend

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Location
Nanaimo B.C
Hey guys,

I've got a flintlock Brown Bess, but that's about all I know about her. Trying to track down some more info as there seems to be a few types and wondering what you experts would reccomend? I can put some pictures up once I get off work but all I have for markings in Perth 1744 scratched into the stock. I was told that was the arsenal.

I'd love some more help from all you guys
 
I have never seen one with the upper tang of the butt plate shaped like that. What is the name written on the lock plate? Also according to Wikipedia, The Australian penal colony was founded in 1788 and the city / town of Perth was founded in 1829. It is an interesting old gun just the same and would be fun to shoot

cheers mooncoon
 
Last edited:
In Feb 1744 the Duke of Perth raised a regiment of Scottish Foot to battle in the Jacobite Uprising. They were present on the field of Culloen in the second line. The regiment was equipped by the Duke from local resources in the area of Perth and from British stocks captured from the destruction of the 45th Foot in a previous battle. After the Uprising, officers were hung and soldiers were exiled to North America.
 
Last edited:
Interesting, the fellow I got this from had mentioned that Perth was the armoury or something, and I beleive something about the Scottish, but he was a fairly old fellow and I didn't get much info on it.
 
Hey Mooncoon, you're a Nanaimo correct? Any chance we could meet up at the range or somewhere one day and you can give me an idea if this would be safe to shoot? Also I have been unable to find any markings on it, other than the stock.

I have never seen one with the upper tang of the butt plate shaped like that. What is the name written on the lock plate? Also according to Wikipedia, The Australian penal colony was founded in 1788 and the city / town of Perth was founded in 1829. It is an interesting old gun just the same and would be fun to shoot

cheers mooncoon
 
Call me a wimp but I wouldn't shoot this gun. It's too nice to risk when perfectly safe reproductions can be had for a reasonable price.
 
It looks similar to a french trade gun, since Jacobite's were partly supported by French interests, maybe an area to look at?
 
Back
Top Bottom