Recommendations for a first antique status pistol

Tinman204

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Location
Rural Manitoba
Hey guys, after meeting up with some fellow gun nutz this weekend and checking out some cool antique handguns I've got the antique revolver itch!!

I've been collecting and shooting milsurp rifles and I'll add that I reload and have done some case conversions and things of that nature. So if I have to convert brass for a handgun I'm ok with that.

I've never considered adding an antique revolver to my collection before so I'm a little overwelmed by the choices that are out there. I'm looking mainly for a revolver that I can buy without selling a kidney to pay for it and would perfer something that I can buy or convert existing brass for. I cast bullets in .312 (brit .303) and .323(8x57 Mauser) already so I'm prepared to buy another bullet mould for a pistol.

My only criteria is that it has to be a handgun, something that I can get brass for, of course it has to be antique status. I'd perfer a revolver but I'm open to anything.

Any thoughts, recommendations on models approx prices and even some pics would be great.
 
I'd perfer a revolver but I'm open to anything.

Unless you have $7000 to spend it will be a revolver. :p

The Colt 1892s are a good gun, but can be hard to find a tight one. .41 Colt is easy to reload, brass and bullets are available at budget shooter supply, or you can get a hollow base mould, stay away from the heeled base.
 
French 1892 Service Revolver.
Manufacturer, Model, Year of man. are all stamped on the gun so, no confusion as to it being Antique.
Swing out cylinder, star push extractor (same as any modern revolver).
Loading is easy. Brass and bullets are availiable.
Built very well.
Less than $1000.00 for a shooter grade.
 
What part of Manitoba are you at? If your ever near Winnipeg send me a pm, I would be happy to meet up and share some of my experiences with antique cartridge handguns.

Just a bit of advice otherwise, take your time looking and researching and whatever antique you decide upon, buy the best example you can afford. There is a great deal of junk floating about.
 
Back
Top Bottom