Remington 1875's

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Lately I've been looking for a nice antique piece to add to my collection. I was leaning towards an SAA but Dingus's comments have me thinking an1875 Remington might be the way to go. I'm curious though where I could get a newer cylinder in 44 spl. and if other replacement parts can be found. Any tips?
 
I think the repros are made only in .357 and .45 Colt. Don't know if the repro cylinders can be fitted to an original. IF a repro cylinder can be located, and IF it can be fitted, then a .357 cylinder could be reamed to .44.
Remington 1875s/1890s are much less common than SAAs.
From all reports they are good guns.
 
You need to get a Cylinders custom made.
the Copys like uberti cylinder is to big in Dia to fit in the orignal frame.
Rachets and center holes are smaller than any other cylinder.
So its not easy. alot of the other internal parts fit tho with some tinkering.
I lucked out and bought a bunch of new cylinders that were made for orignal guns but there hard to come by.
Watch for and orignal gun in 44 remington then you dont gota alter nothing ;).


Heres a picture of my custom 1875/1890 the custom sites are adjustable.
this a custom built gun.
The holster was a very old 1911 holster but it works ex for this gun.
zzzzzzzzzz1890.jpg


zzzzzzzzzzzzzz1875.jpg
 
I second the motion. A nice Remington like Dingus's would be the only thing that could tempt me away from my antique Colt SAA 45 Schofield.
 
Dingus - just out of curiosity, are any of these new made replacement cylinders still available?
 
Dingus - just out of curiosity, are any of these new made replacement cylinders still available?

No,
I got the last few i know of.
and i have a few guns to fix up so mine are all spoken for.
They can be custom made by a good machineist but thats expensive.

I like the full length barreled 1875s to and they fit perfect in them sweet Ruger/ Bianchi flap holsters

P8010025.jpg
 
Provided that your chambers are dimensionally correct for .44 Special with .429" bullets, there will be no problem with them in a .427" groove diameter barrel originally intended for .44-40. The soft bullet lead will swage down easily on firing. The real difficulty with some .44-40 guns is that they need .427"-.428" bullets to chamber.

There probably isn't enough material in a .44-40 cylinder to allow the chambers to be reamed and sleeved down to .44 Special.
 
I'm not so much an antique nut and would prolly opt. for a repro of either the '75 or better still, the '90, because i would like to use them, alot!!
 
I was considering an original 1875 in 44-40 however I don't want to get into anything that can't be rechambered and deregistered. I like freedom with my antiques. :D I wonder about boring out and sleeving the barrel then a rechamber to 455 or 45 Autorim?
 
If you reconsider, Epps has had that 1875 Remi in 44-40 up for a while... Maybe be able to get a few bucks knocked off of it. I checked it out last time I was there & passed on it, but I can't really remember the details of it...
 
If you reconsider, Epps has had that 1875 Remi in 44-40 up for a while... Maybe be able to get a few bucks knocked off of it. I checked it out last time I was there & passed on it, but I can't really remember the details of it...

Its sold. that was a good deal for someone.
 
Damn. That was the one I was debating....

I woulda bought it if i knew it was there. no debateing at a price like that eh, and in Canada to boot.
note to self, check epps from time to time :cool:
Course i never seen how bad the frame was maby it was a ugly pitted frame.
if the frame was lightly pitted and gray i woulda been on it fast tho.
 
It wasn't the prettiest, but if I remember right, the finish was about 40% cloudy nickel remaining. I don't remember the frame being too badly pitted, but the bore was poor to fair with pitting. I don't know the values on the 1875's, I think the asking price was around $1300 - $1400 range...
 
I was still waiting for pics. Figured I'd drive up there first of next week and have a look in person. The only guy up there that I trust to give me a good opinion of that type of gun is Doug and they don't let him near the phone....
 
G.B.'s got one over there right now (210017059) with a starting bid of $1800 & it looks better than the one I saw at Epps. States he doesn't ship international but p.m. if you don't know an FFL importer to use.
 
Back
Top Bottom