Remington UMC questions

mcp1

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Winnipeg
When I purchased my Axis I also purchased a 200rd box of Remington UMC for breaking it in. But using it I do have a couple questions.

The cartridge itself measures 2.160 inches. My reloading manuals state that a 45 gr hp should be 2.26. Is this an error or something done in the manufacturing process to ensure these cartridges work in every gun? Or is this not a big deal?

Also the brass itself, does not like new out of the box. Is the cheaper UMC product made with previously fired brass? Up until this point I haven't used any UMC labelled ammunition so this is new to me!
 
Different bullets from different manufacturers are different shapes/lengths.

Different manuals, and manufacturers seat bullets at different depths.

Reloading, especially for accuracy, in a bolt gun you will find that depth of seating is a variable that will change depending on gun, and magazine, and the load in the manual will never be right. It is a variable for you to play with. Keeping in mind seating deeper raises pressure.

The UMC stuff is not reloaded brass, but may not get polished as much as others. The look of the brass does nothing for function.

I have had very good luck with UMC in a Stevens 200, that consistently shot under an inch with it.

In the end everygun is different, and will like different ammo weight, OAL, and powder charges.
 
My main concern about the different look of the brass is knowing the history of what I'm reloading. These cartridges are shooting well, but I thought that this was a substantial difference in length from what I'm seeing as a suggested starting point from reloading data. Maybe the appearance of the brass is just from the initial forming.
 
Post a pic, it might just be a result of annealling process.
Most Lapua, PMC M193 and some newer Hornady match brass cases are annealed and does not look as good as non-annelaled cases.

AMM-249.jpg

Above is a picture of 5.56 NATO Lake City M855 Ammo (some of the best 5.56 ammo).
Notice the "dirty" appearance of high quality annealed brass cases.


Alex
 
That picture is exactly what I'm describing Alex. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a quality issue since I'm unfamiliar with UMC ammo. I look forward to loading it up!
 
Back
Top Bottom