Remmington 700 ML question

bwery

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
Manitoba
Hey, A little while back I accuired a Model 700 ML in pristine condition. It's been sitting in the safe and I haven't touched it since. I did some searching on it and it seams to be a mix bag of opinions out there. I can say it is a very comfortable rifle to hold. I read the ones using the 209 primers gave off a lot of blow by. this one uses #11's.

1. Anyone have an idea of what these are worth in excellent/like new condition?
2. Any have any experience shooting them and can comment on blow back?
3. Can anyone comment on the overall quality of this rifle (accuracy ect.)?
4. What kind of powder loads/bullet weights seam to work best?

Any information than can be offered would be appreciated. I know they stopped making them fairly quickly. Seams like a nice gun. Thanks guys/gals.
 
They were a design the Remington SHOULD HAVE NEVER abandoned. Now they offer that Genesis crap that I wouldn't use to stake tomato plants with. It was rough finished, but good shooters with proper load development. Remington started with the #11 caps but also offered the musket cap nipple as well. When 209 became mainstream, but conversion kits soon followed. They do have blowback, as the ignition source was never fully enclosed like the break actions of today.

Start at 90 grains and work up.

Good score!
 
Last edited:
I had one for 10 years. A fantastic muzzle loader. Very accurate with almost any projectile. I have killed many, many deer with the Hornady 240 .44 cal XTP in sabots. Resident deer seasons in S/W Saskatchewan allowed me to get in a lot of hunting each year in my zone and the 700ML became my favorite rifle. Once you get used to cleaning the bolt it's all good. I had a local gunsmith make me a metal version of the plastic breach cover (bolt extension) after I burned mine right through last year. I have used #11 primers, Musket caps and 209 shot shell primers. You want to get to the 209 primers ASAP. I had a lot of misfires with #11s and Pyrodex RS. Musket caps were no better for me, and I demand perfection. 209s give instant ignition every time. The conversion kit was not very much but worth every penny. The 209 nipple is vented all around so it's a bit dirty, and you need a pick to get the caps out but it is the best system.
 
Hi l have a Stainless steel version, l love mine...very accurate, although it does have some blow back from the primer it's not that bad. I'm selling mine if anyone is interested l have a case of remingtom corelokt 303gr. bullets, box of triple 7 powder pellets & alllll accessories. plus stainless rings & base but no scope(MILLET) $500 will take it all!!!!


Perferably Ontario only please!!!!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured 90 grain would be a good place to start but how about bullet weight? I bought it at auction and I think I paid $300 in the end including tax's and fees. Was that to much? I think my bid was $260 which sounded good at the time. Thanks for any additional info anyone is willing to offer.
 
300 is a fair price if it is in good condish. Be sure to get the breech cover/bolt extension to keep from burning the paint off your scope!

Mine would shoot almost anything accurately. Hornady 240 XTP shoots very well and it's performance on deer is exceptional. You won't be disappointed.
 
It's in mint almost un used condition. Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it and I am glad to hear I got it for a fair price. It does not have a breech cover on it. I'm not even sure where to look to find one. I tried looking for a tool to remove the breech and that was hard to come by. Turned out a traditions one fit nicely so thats what I use.
 
Back
Top Bottom