Replacement Trade Rifle barrel??

goldidig

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Location
Nova Scotia
Guys, I'm Looking to replace a very badly pitted barrel on a used Lyman .54 calibre percussion Trade Rifle that I bought used last year. The rifle is about 10 years old and obviously was never properly cleaned in it's lifetime. What a mess the bore is in. Accuracy is O.K. out to 60 yards still( the rifling is still very strong) but it fouls very fast and is next to impossible to get perfectly clean. Does anyone know where I could find a good used barrel? Should I just buy a new one from Lyman or is there any other alternative? I've never had to replace a barrel before and didn't know where to start. I figured one of you have likely been down this road before and may be able to advise me as to the best way to go.
Al
 
Look for a new drop-in barrel. They should be easy to find for a model like that. Anyone that carries Lyman should be able to get one ordered in or there are also aftermarket barrels made to fit.

Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf would be places to look online.
 
Hey Al....do you luck....ver hear from Darryl in New Brunswick any more? For the more popular rifles some of the best barrel makers have replacements so just wait a bit here and someone with better knowledge than me will help.
 
Track have drop in barrels for $200, or you could try JB bore compound, I've cleaned up a few barrels using it. Wholesale sports carry it for $12. Easy to use, take a wire brush, wrap a cleaning patch around it, and smear on the paste, run in it in out of the bore a few times. "Slicker than deer guts on a doorknob"

Cheers nessy
 
Back
Top Bottom