Replacing screws.

41 Colt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
307   0   0
Location
BC
I got some complete scew sets for my Colt SAA from Peacemaker Specialists. A few screws need to be replaced because they have been chewed up over the years with wrongly sized screwdrivers (I also got their special flat tipped screwdriver). Should I replace all the screws? I'm like :yingyang: thinking about it. Alot of them are fine, but I could preserve all of them if I replaced them. These are shooters BTW.

And does anyone have any ideas to "age" new screws? Evaporust removes bluing, I could lighten the heads a little with it, perhaps?
 
I have a sweet Antique nickled colt in 44 Sp and i am thinking of doing my screws a fire blue just for contrast. Fire blueing is polishing the screws head like i said use heat till it turns a very nice fire blue then quickly drop the screw in oil. they just sparkle if done right.
Theres a trick to it tho.
Id only replace the screws that are buggered.
 
Last edited:
I also have a blued one. The nickle plated one is shiney enough I wouldn't touch the screws, but the blued one has a greyish patina to it.
 
I also have a blued one. The nickle plated one is shiney enough I wouldn't touch the screws, but the blued one has a greyish patina to it.

Well useing the nickle stripper on one of the new screws should let you know.
The Blue comes off leaveing a kinda dull look so that might be all you need to do.
 
Back
Top Bottom