A new addition to my collection--a P56 Enfield carbine with Crown over VR and 1861 over Tower on the lock plate.
The Confederate States bought over 10,000 of these P56 Enfield carbines during the Civil War.
This example has a VR under the Crown on the lock plate so it was not a commercial gun for export.
The Confederate purchases would not have had the VR marking.
I am trying to find out what the stock and barrel markings mean on this P56 carbine.
Thanks.









I figured out ---Stamped on the right side of the stock in a circular frame is TOWER-LONDON/ 1861, crown over broad arrow with flanking initials 'W' and 'O'
I don't know enough about British markings to identify these barrel markings.

The hammer cocked showing all the leaf sights.

The Confederate States bought over 10,000 of these P56 Enfield carbines during the Civil War.
This example has a VR under the Crown on the lock plate so it was not a commercial gun for export.
The Confederate purchases would not have had the VR marking.
I am trying to find out what the stock and barrel markings mean on this P56 carbine.
Thanks.









I figured out ---Stamped on the right side of the stock in a circular frame is TOWER-LONDON/ 1861, crown over broad arrow with flanking initials 'W' and 'O'
I don't know enough about British markings to identify these barrel markings.

The hammer cocked showing all the leaf sights.

Last edited:


















































