Savage BP Rifle Failure

Yup, Savage, like all American firearms manufacturers, make crap which blows up and injures consumers on a daily basis, and their hired gun lawyers get fat going around threatening poor innocent experts who get hurt when the sub-standard crap explodes in their hands and faces.
Great business model. I reckon that is why Savage has been around for so long. It would be cheaper if they made a practice of making quality that could stand up to the occsional mistake of double charging, or double loading, or both, but where's the fun in that? Oh, wait, what did Geraldbergeron say? Of course, evryone on the net, taking advantage of their anominity, 'fesses up to screwing up the odd re-load.

I'm not going to use the 'sarcasm' footnote. You figure it out.
 
Bringing up an old thread. Was cleaning my 10MLII last night and looking at the breech plug. Looked at Toby Bridge's site and how he postulates that gas leaking past the should of the breech plug caused the blow up. Wouldn't a tiny relief hole in the barrel just aft of the supposedly leaking shoulder relieve any gas pressure that leaks past it?
 
gb,

Thanks for posting this very informative post. This tends to add credence to the "short seated" theory.

Cheers
SW
Hi Andy,


I just could go my way without writing some personal facts...

I am 63 years old... ( not or not enough stupid... ) LOL

I am the first owner of my 50 cal 10MLII...

I use to shoot this gun since more than five (5) years...

I love this ML gun... and still love her...

I have more than 2,000 rounds through that gun (at least). ( hard to believe... )

I shot all the recipes that you can imagine... name it...

- 209 primers of all kinds: CCI, Winchester, ... name it...

- Bullets: Hornady, Precision, Parker, ... name it...

- powders: 4227 ( at the beginning), IMR-4198, Hodgdon 4198, H-322, Accurate 5744, Vitavouri 110, 120, 133, XMR-2015, 10X, SR-4759, ... at all their possible loads.. name it...

- powders: in duplex mode ( the best recipes ) ... name it ...

- Sabots: Hornady, MMP. Precision,... name it...


This Savage gun can take more pressure than you can think of...

Just to say that I am ( I hope ) a great black powder shooter: I shoot long range distance ( > 600 yards ) with a muzzleloader Gibbs Pedersoli...
So... as many of us, some day, I ...

Sometimes I shot with ( God, forgive me...) rounds with 2 x powder ....
More than twice ( God, please still forgive me... ) I shot with 2 bullets...
This Savage barrel was still with me.... ( and I was still with her... )

BUT ONE DAY .... that was the B A N G day...

I was at the range and was zeroing my scope for the deer hunt. With 250SST Hornady bullet in a MMP short black sabot over SR-4759 powder.... a quite not original load .... but OK for the hunt ....

Than came the B A N G ..... . . . . .

A very loud BANG.... everybody at the shooting line looked at me..... and I looked asstonished at the 10ML-LL ...

Guess what ... n o t h i n g !!

Everything was looking fine .... even the barrel ... even myself ....

I was very skeptical ... as a science man ... I was just thinking of my last way of loading ... etc ... name it ...

SO, I put some powder in that ML, pushed a Hornady 250SST-MMP Black Sabot with the ramrod...

That was as usual ... but in the last 6 inches down the barrel ...
r e s is t a n c e went to almost ZERO ! ! ! !!

I had the impression that the ramrod was pushing in zero resistance ....

Guess what ...

That is the END of the story ...

No more BANG, No blood, no... name it... I decided not to shoot anymore with that barrel...

Afterwards, my gunsmith told me ( as I expected ) that the barrel bulged in the rear 6 inches... but with no exterior signs.

I then changed the barrel for a new one.....


Autopsy:

IMO the 10ML-II barrel can take great pressure.

IMO the 10ML-II barrel can shoot double charge of powder.

IMO the 10ML-II barrel can shoot double bullets.

IMO the 10ML-II barrel can shoot double charge of powder AND double bullets.

IMO... as I remember today... I got a misfire and I forgot ( please do not ask me why...) to place the bullet back on the powder with the ramrod...

IMO the 10ML-II barrel cannot tolerate air space between the powder and the bullet... ( my interpretation ).

I am still shooting smokeless powder in the Savage...

I think that using this muzzleloader is like "reloading".... Look at what you are doeing...


Just my 2 cents.

Gérald

P.S.: the same principle applies with BP ML.
P.S.: a bit shy to write this post... but human is human and i must look at every shot as a reloading shot... and please do not disturb me at that magic time...
 
Back
Top Bottom