Scrapyard trip today and could use your help. :)

bertn. I think I have seen yours in other posts. That thing is a monster. I was thinking of making a dedicated one but I am waiting to see how much I go though first.

Yes, it sure is a monster.

If I had to do it over again I would use a bit smaller tank lol.
Mine is from a cut down 100lb propane tank but next time I would use a 30lb
tank. (that's the bbq size diameter but slightly taller)
A smaller tank has less surface area so you would have less oxidation when
melting the same amount of lead.

What are you going to cast with it?
 
I know nothing but could you not drill into them pretty easy?
Line up the holes so they "cut" the chunks into smaller chunks? Or at least make them easier to melt, plus keep the cuttings to melt as well?
 
Just place the blade of a hatchet on the lead where you want to make a cut, then hit the back of the hatchet with a sledge mallet. Bob's your uncle.
 
A cold chisel and a little sledge hammer might cut it up nicely.

Cold chisels are too blunt.

A cheap 1 inch wood chisel and a decent sized hammer, and be ready to work at it.

Other than that, an axe would work fine with less work.

You need to pretty much bring the whole thing up to heat if using a torch, so a Tiger torch or similar, if you don't want to be there all day and night.

Chainsaw will do it too, wear eye protection.

Cheers
Trev
 
Yes, it sure is a monster.

If I had to do it over again I would use a bit smaller tank lol.
Mine is from a cut down 100lb propane tank but next time I would use a 30lb
tank. (that's the bbq size diameter but slightly taller)
A smaller tank has less surface area so you would have less oxidation when
melting the same amount of lead.

What are you going to cast with it?

Mostly round ball for BP. I found a pan large enough to take it. I will clean it in the pan and then transfer it to my ingots. If we go through enough I will build one this fall.
 
Done this several times with an axe/splitting maul cutting through Babbitt bearings about 5" square. The nice thing is you don't have to cut all the way through. Cut about 3/4 through or a bit more, then lay the split over the end of a rock and start bending back. It will eventually split.
 
Clamp in a vice, and hammer it back and forth until it breaks. Or clamp with a piece of steel, and the steel will cut right through, as you tighten the vice.
 
Just place the blade of a hatchet on the lead where you want to make a cut, then hit the back of the hatchet with a sledge mallet. Bob's your uncle.
Be sure to wear safety glasses when doing this. Both tools are hardened. Chipping can/will occur. Had a friend take a piece of axe right in the eye. Says he would rather have given birth to triplets.
 
Pure lead is soft, a log splitter would be easiest.
50lb of lead will easily fit in a dutch over. Lee 20lb melter volume is small 2.5x isn't much.
Best is toss 50lb block into dutch over, flux it with candle or wood chips, pour into 1lb ingots. All ready for casting.

Lead tends to bind as the cutting friction melts it, nasty stuff.

What's the final product?
Pure lead is soft, may need to blend in Antimony for hardness, tin makes the lead flow better by reducing surface tension. .
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom