Shooting the Snider Cadet Carbine

englishman_ca

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
156   0   2
A question for.those who shoot the Snider Cavalry or Cadet carbine.

At what height do you have your front sight?

I am working on a Cadet carbine and find the original front bead sight neither use nor ornament. I am handcrafting a ramp and barleycorn, and am curious to find out how high a front bead I need for plinking.

I am staring at a front sight block from an smle, might be the basis for something with a windage adjustable insert. Ideas?
 
Thanks Ben......not really an expert! I'll take a photo of my carbine front sight. Front sights, even those on rifles intended for warfare, are too low for our purposes today. I took my "shooter" to my gunsmith and had him fashion a front sight exactly the same as an original only 1/4" higher. He removed the original and silver soldered the new one in its place. I have had much experience with add on front sights over the years but this was my first experience with this type. I went to the range. With my .590" round ball loads over 70 grains of black powder (FG) I shot a one hole group in the black at 50 yards as well as a 6 inch group at 100 yards which was also across the black. The front sight looks high but shoots to point of aim. Now, for the historic part of all of this! Please fashion a sight which looks period. You will also need to fill the hole left by the bead with either a piece of a screw or some silver solder before you put any replacement on the rifle. Good luck. If I have time later I'll get the rifle and post a photo. Dave
 
Perfect! 1/4 inch taller than original. I now have a starting point. I will handfile a block to resemble an original cav sight. I have been thinking about a two piece design ( I can smell burning toast) so that I can switch out a barleycorn insert of different height. Probably too much work for a sat morning, I'll zip one up at the bench and see how it looks.
 
Back
Top Bottom