Shotgun

bunyan

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Brandon MB
A40BE1BA-F8C6-459E-AEDB-96F023A12BA9_zps9pefu1ec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]I inherited this gun and would like find the piece under the barrel or pictures so I can make one
8C1EAA6E-7170-484A-B921-B2C9CC605EE1_zpsjwbhgock.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
It appears Belgian. Do you need to make both the forearm wood and iron? What is the name on the side of the action? Also, are you doing this to make it a wall hanger or do you actually plan to use it? If your plan is to fire it, you do realize that it has low grade damascus barrels and will have short chambers and probably proofed for black powder only. If there is any play in the action and pitting in the bores, I would not fire it .
 
I'm looking for either pictures of the part where you put your second hand under the barrel or pictures of what it should look like so I can make one
 
I do not plan on firing it. I would like to restore it and make the piece it's missing. Don't think its safe to fire
 
The gun does not "look" Belgian, it is Belgian and is stamped with standard Belgian proof marks. The crown over the oval cartouche is post 1893 and the peron (looks like and Eiffel Tower) and the stamps that look like British pound symbols are all standard Belgian proof marks. If the barrels are not deeply pitted and the action tight (the barrels lock tight on the frame) the gun is probably safe to shoot with black powder loads but confirm its condition with a gunsmith knowledgeable of antiques.

There are two related pieces missing; the forend stock composed of the forend iron and the wooden portion which is secured to the barrels by the iron. If the gun is only to be a wall hanger, you may be able to find a forend complete with both wood and iron and haywire it to the gun in a way that is good enough for display. If you are good with your hands and have some metal working tools you can make the iron but it is a lot of work and you need some knowledge of how forends are attached to the gun and how to create them. The concave portion where the iron pivots around the front of the receiver might be able to be created by drilling through a block of steel with a drill of the appropriate diameter then removing the portion of metal that you do not need. To repeat myself it is a lot of work and needs knowledge of a workable design. I have made a forend iron but it is not something I would take on unless a gun somehow special or unique. (and no I don t want to make one for someone else)

cheers mooncoon
 
There's a Belgian shotgun forend on E-Bay for $26 US by "gpartschic"). There's some fairly good pictures of it.

If you want to make it just a wall hanger maybe you could forego the metal parts and just carve a piece of wood to fit.
 
Wow thanks. I'll check it out. Don't think I want to fire it, when closing the barrel it still seems a little loose.
 
It will not be fired. After reading more about these guns, I would prefer to keep all my limbs in tact. Lol. Still on the hunt for a forearm piece. Sent a few emails out and hopefully I can at least get one that I can modify to wirk
 
It will not be fired. After reading more about these guns, I would prefer to keep all my limbs in tact. Lol. Still on the hunt for a forearm piece. Sent a few emails out and hopefully I can at least get one that I can modify to wirk

I don't want to come off as rude, but you are reading hogwash if you are reading that these guns are any more unsafe to fire than a smokeless shotgun!
Almost all of my hunting guns are Damascus barrelled , and I have owned several Saxtons, in good shape they are very nice shooters.
There are lots of parts out there for them as well.
Cat
 
Yes, I want to clarify my statement about it should not be fired. I am referring to it being possibly in unsafe condition which I think it might be if you notice play in the action. I am not implying that it should not be shot because it has damascus barrels. I as well have a few 100 to 150 year old damascus guns that get shot. There is no reason an old damascus gun cannot be used if the condition dictates it safe to do so. They can be a joy to shoot as well as carrying a gun that has untold stories behind it. Many of these damascus guns are works of art and were hand built.
 
Can anyone provide pictures of the forend including pics of the metal and wood? I am having slot of trouble to even source a replacement part that I could modify. With good pictures Im hoping to machine my own piece. Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom