Snider 145th Anniversary Upcoming

Snider was issued in Canada in 1867, Fenian Raids were in 1866 & 70, NW Riel Rebellions in 1870 & 85. First combat use in Canada would have been Eccle's Hill Que in 1870.
 
Sorry to hijack the thread but if anyone wants to read a great book about the Battle of Magdala have a look at "Flashman on the March" by George Macdonald Fraser. Lots of fun!
 
The Battle of Magdala while a historic first for the Snider in the British Army is kind of arbitrary as a celebration for us here in Canada. I suggest we celebrate the date when Sniders were accepted into service in Canada. But then again, any excuse to venerate the Snider is a good one.
 
On April 10th, the 145th anniversary of the combat debut of the Snider Enfield. That was April 10th, 1868 at the Battle of Magdala. I was wondering, though, did the Snider see combat in Canada before that, during the various Fenian Raids and the Riel Rebellion? :confused:

I missed the 10th but I do have a mk III short rifle (2 actually in case someone wants to buy one), Canadian issue and while I have gathered components, I have never touched off any rounds. Perhaps on this historic date, someone could share some favorite loading data for a brass case with a traditional bullet. Might encourage a few more of us to get our Sliders breathing smoke and fire again! I have always gotten hung up on what to use for a filler, how much powder to use, etc. My rifles are in excellent condition but boy those cases would hold an awful lot of black powder and fillers seem to cause many issues so they sit unused. Help...
 
Outdoors, take a look at this thread, lots of great info there. In short, Sniders are great fun & easy to load & shoot, fillers are a lot easier than they are with the Martini Henry as the Snider cartridge is straight walled, (MH is bottleneck).

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?891669-School-me-on-Sniders

Peter (in Burlington, Ontario)


I missed the 10th but I do have a mk III short rifle (2 actually in case someone wants to buy one), Canadian issue and while I have gathered components, I have never touched off any rounds. Perhaps on this historic date, someone could share some favorite loading data for a brass case with a traditional bullet. Might encourage a few more of us to get our Sliders breathing smoke and fire again! I have always gotten hung up on what to use for a filler, how much powder to use, etc. My rifles are in excellent condition but boy those cases would hold an awful lot of black powder and fillers seem to cause many issues so they sit unused. Help...
 
Back
Top Bottom