Snider questions

The NWMP retired the Snider pretty early, like before the Northwest Rebellion. They really wanted Martini carbines, but ended up with the '76 Winchester. After those wore out they got the Ross. They also used a few Lee carbines modified with sling swivels. The Cadets used the Snider for decades, but they were basically just for drill, not shooting. Any shooting was done with blanks. Some Militia units had Sniders up to at least 1905, I think I saw one that was issued as late as 1908. The cadet carbines were used into the 30's, at least.

granted the snider was used for along time id really like to find a good date on when the RCMP stoped using them and martinis (some time after ww1 most likely when lee enfields were plenty)

the mk3 action is still better then the eraly patterns not that it matter much for our use of these guns but many of the farmer mods to keep the breech closed better i have seen fencing wire used once or twice also alot of them did get beaten up i think it was dominion who loaded a smokeless round not the best idea they had
 
Sounds like a project in the making. Lots of good advice from a bunch of good guys on this site.
There is something to be proud of when a relic is brought back to originality. Good luck.
 
Found another Snider today. Mk. III 3 band rifle. Bore is shiney, as fine as I have ever seen on a Snider. Rest of the rifle is excellent, needs a gentle cleaning, it has obviously been sitting for a long time. Still has the firing pin protector, although the outer layer of leather is gone. No Cdn marks, just British.
 
Found another Snider today. Mk. III 3 band rifle. Bore is shiney, as fine as I have ever seen on a Snider. Rest of the rifle is excellent, needs a gentle cleaning, it has obviously been sitting for a long time. Still has the firing pin protector, although the outer layer of leather is gone. No Cdn marks, just British.

Come on don't tease. We need to see pictures please :)
 
Just got it home, haven't had a chance to take any photos yet. But it is really nice.....
This makes 3 decent ones: the stock sported II** I've been using to make cases, a nice 11** three bander, and today's III three bander.
 
Went through the parts box today and re-assembled the lock. Other than the sear spring it's all there and actually works quite well. Color me amazed. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.
Came up with some extra parts too, probably came out of Dixie Gun Parts in the '70's. Nothing special; an extra brass buttplate, a bbl band or two.
Down to needing a better breechblock and the return spring for same. A firing pin and a sear spring...then...smells like BP:)
Got a mold coming in the mail thanks to a CGN member. Cases from another. Good folk on here
Whether or not it gets bobb'd and turned into a Howda pistol is still up in the air though.
Kind of a pity that I don't know what the other extra parts are for. Fancy blank hammer's, extra unused locks, trigger guards and buttplates. They would be precious to the right person I'd think.
If I get it making smoke I'll be a happy guy
 
Pic's as promised
102_0970_zps2111dad0.jpg

102_0969_zps73e280da.jpg

102_0968_zpsd72e637d.jpg

BTW, before I get flamed for it, I don't know how the lock plate ended up with a mirror finish. Definitely no patina on this one, eh?
 
Went through the parts box today and re-assembled the lock. Other than the sear spring it's all there and actually works quite well. Color me amazed. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.
Came up with some extra parts too, probably came out of Dixie Gun Parts in the '70's. Nothing special; an extra brass buttplate, a bbl band or two.
Down to needing a better breechblock and the return spring for same. A firing pin and a sear spring...then...smells like BP:)
Got a mold coming in the mail thanks to a CGN member. Cases from another. Good folk on here
Whether or not it gets bobb'd and turned into a Howda pistol is still up in the air though.
Kind of a pity that I don't know what the other extra parts are for. Fancy blank hammer's, extra unused locks, trigger guards and buttplates. They would be precious to the right person I'd think.
If I get it making smoke I'll be a happy guy

I am rebuilding some Sniders, My best one is all there except the nipple cover- and the wood has been cut back some.
I have one missing the lock compleatly.
janice
 
Back
Top Bottom