starter rifle

happytrout23

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
BC
I'm planing on geting my first muzzle loader in the next couple of months and I have no idea where to start. I'm not working much so somthing inexpensive is a must as well as ease of use. A push in the right direction would be a great help and time saver.
 
Buy a copy of the Lyman Black Power Handbook & Reloading Manual. An in-line percussion rifle is within your budget. Percussion locks do require a PAL and registration, if that's an issue. And as idiotic as it is. Percussion locks are easier to deal with than a flintlock though.
Epp's lists new CVA models well under $300. They have new and used Traditions in-line rifles at under $200 too.
 
I was just looking online at the cva kodiak pro 209 magnum pivvot block action any thoughts on that one. i noticed it has a 28in barrel is that going to be more usefull or just added weight ?
 
are you talking about the lyman mustang breack away because on there web site they have it listed at $500. a couple hundred more than i can spend
 
I'd say start with a traditions 50 cal great plains rifle.

They're common, reliable, everyone knows them and understands them, and they're well built. They're also commonly available. Stay the heck away from spanish guns and any ones that don't instantly speak quality or at least are well regarded.

Then find someone to teach you, as otherwise you'll be reinventing the wheel.



P.S - being in kamloops puts you very close to heffley creek, and that's a big rondyvous for blackpowder shooters. It'd be a great place to meet the people, see the guns, and maybe get to handle and shoot those that you like the look of.

Might even get to shoot a cannon if you ask nicely ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom