superformance ammo lives up to claims

brybenn

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Location
southern ontario
Hey all just thought I'd share some results of redneck backyard bullet testing. Today I tried winchester cxp2 120gr. Winchester ballistic silver tip 115gr and hornady superformance 117gr all fired from a stevens 200 in 25-06. The intent was to find a suitable backup bullet for an upcoming bear hunt. For this test I simply placed 4L water jugs filled with water side by each inside a tarp cover 2"x8" trough. I used 10 jugs. A single shot is fired into the line up which gives an idea of wound channel the actual bullet delivers approximately every 5". Any bullet fragments are trapped in the base of the jugs or on the tarp. Both winchester bullets blew the sh*t out of the first 2 jugs leaving a 2" hole in the 3rd jug. Fragments where found throughout the 3 jugs. These bullets were completely stopped in 3 jugs. No actual bullet remained just fragments The hornady superformance SST did the same same damage to the first 2 jugs but continued to penetrate thru the 3rd and 4th jug stopping in the 5th as a perfect expanded mushroom nearly identical as the picture shown on the box. It has expanded to approximately 1.25x its original .257 diameter. For a cheap factory bullet they performed awesome penetrating at least 20" of water and blasting thru 9 plastic jug walls with almost no lost weight. Only shed 1 small length of copper jacket. I could not find the red plastic tip. These bullets are rated for 3110fps at the muzzle and the distance to impact was 65 yards. I'm very impressed with these bullets and would recommend them for light skinned animals. Ill keep my cxp2's for coyotes and deer as they shoot 1/2 moa at a 100 yards in my gun the SST's hover around 1.25" at 100 yards for a 5 shot group which is good enough for me.
 
We'll you're comparing two rather poor performers to an okay performer. If that SST is holding together at .25-06 velocity than that's really all the bullet you'll ever need on thin skinned game.
 
All 3 are advertised for thin skinned game such as deer and black bear. I haven't shot anything other trhen paper and water jugs with the hornady bullets the brands I've used with amazing success of coyotes. As I hold a wolf tag as well as a bear tag I want a bullet that kills quick and will still penetrate well in a bear
 
I took many elks, mooses, caribous all with the SST ogive, one of the best for qwick anchoring a beast and one of the most underrated bullet on the market, they are very dependable... JP.
 
Since i found the Superformance in 308, 300 win mag, 243, 7X57 i do not handload no more for those caliber as i cant duplicate their velocity and they all group extremly well in my rifles ( read .5 or less ), i bought 12 box of each ( cleaned Le Baron shelves ) and as soon they get more i will buy it all, for the price this ammo is a given gift... Cheers. JP.
 
I shot one buck with a SST from my .25-06, and it did a nasty job on him, the front end was a mass of jelly. The distance was 175 yards, and the bullet impacted on it's front shoulder, took out a rib going in, a rib going out and through the off shoulder. The bullet was under the hide and weighed in at 69g. I hand loaded the bullet with H4831 and got less than 1" groups at 100 yards.
 
A 308 hot loaded with 165 gr SST is my Caribou bullet, many have gone down almost on the spot at distances sometimes exceding 400 metres, 46.7 gr of Varget, Federal Match cases, CCI BR-1 primers, OAL 2,820 max to fit the magazine... This is a over the Max load and over the chrony out of my Steyr Scout rifle it average 2810 fps and groups sub half moa with no pressure signs except a thight extraction.... This is a VERY devastating long range combo rifle load, now i tried the Superformance and it would average 2833 fps with grouping of .75, i might tried one shot on a Caribou this year with it, it could be even deadlier, will keep you posted... JP.
 
Back
Top Bottom