T Ketland breechplug loading flintlock rifle...

tacfoley

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Mooncoon - I saw this crie de coeur on a UK-based forum this afternoon - can you help him out?

'I saw a very interesting flintlock rifle the other day. It was a "Ketland" flintlock rifle made approximately 1780 according to the owner.

It was a fine looking rifle and in very good condition. What was unusual about it was that it could be loaded while you were lay down. The backsight was about 1-1/2" wide by about 1/4" thick and about 1/2" high. It could be unscrewed and was attached to a large threaded plug. The ball was inserted into the barrel and wadding was put in behind it. It appeared to have a slight taper at the breech to stop the ball rolling out. It wasn't patched.
The powder was put in at the rear of the opening where the sight/plug went and then was fired like any other flintlock.

I have tried to find out more about the rifle but I only get the maker,W.Ketland, who was based in the Midlands, the actual model does not come up.'

TIA

tac
 
I had a look in Flaydermann's Guide and didn't see anything listed. Also did a google search and found the description you posted but no photos. There was also a hit for Ketland breach loading with a link to images but the images seemed to be for breach loading guns only and nothing that was specific to Ketland. I am guessing the gun in your description may have been a trial model and never produced in large numbers. It does sound slow to load if you have to unscrew the breach to load. I wish I could help you more

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom