Tang sight for old eyes

ruffbird

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I had to put a tang sight on my single shot 45-70 rifle to see ;) if I can get better groups.
It is a Kelley mid range (silhouette) type, which should work better with a lyman globe on the front. I am excited to get out to try it out, & thought I would show it off & ask if any of you have one like it & how it works for you. I'm hoping for 300-400 yrs distance with 405 gr cast bullets....
 
Does the globe have a level in it?

Georgeous rear sight, I'm an MVA man myself but the Kelly offset sight I've been eyeballing for awhile......
 
Looks great but for long range shooting a spirit-level front sight is almost a necessity. Any inconsistency in leveling the rifle will throw off your windage and it will be very noticeable at 300 - 400 yds, in my experience.
 
Nice looking setup. It should be pretty easy to stick a small adhesive bubble level on the rear sight to check your cant.
 
A level is sure nice to have but I'm not sure I'd consider it a full blown necessity. If you use a front sight insert that has supports which are either horizontal or vertical you can use these to line up with features out there and get it pretty darn close to vertical.

One of the few folks I ever saw get a full string of hits at the local SASS side match Buffalo shoots used an 1885 that didn't use a bubble level.
 
Back
Top Bottom