Tang Style Sights on an 1858 Enfield

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Location
Hammond, ON
Hi. I have a Pedersoli 1858 Enfield and am shooting patched .570 RB over 50-55 gr of GOEX ffg.

I am having some issues with accuracy (part of which can be older eyes trying to gather a decent sight picture) as it is shooting about 25 cm left of centre at 100M.

As opposed to holding off I am contemplating tang style sights and am seeking feedback from those who might be using them on their rifled muskets.

Cheers
 
Is that 25 cm consistent? Having used both, and if the "miss" is consistent - then 25 cm off sounds more like an adjustment issue, or some issue that an expensive change of sights won't resolve. Take a hard, honest look at your hold, if it is consistent then I'd suggest having someone who knows watch you shoot and make some suggestion. It is good practice. I use 3rd party review in everything I can - a critical neutral eye can pick out things you'd never guess.

If it is not consistent, then take a hard look at your barrel fit (maybe some inletting black is on order) make sure everything is in order there. Pedersoli is good but you never know. YMMV.

On a side note, looking at your location - if you have the choice why in the he## would you choose the OK? LOL (I'll revoke your passport) :)
 
I have been unable to locate any .577 minie, and I do not have a bullet mould nor the capacity at this time to cast, hence only round ball n patch use so far. I have not swaged the bore and going by spec that the .570 ball n patch fit. I am still working on the appropriate charge for the round ball, but even as I work through the loads, the consistency is that they print well left of centre. That is why I was seeking feedback from others who may have used an adjustable tang sight on their rifle muskets. I have seen examples mounted on Whitworth rifles, just not repo Enfields. Cheers
 
Small World Cigar man, your location is my home town!! Thanks for the info. Sourcing .577 in Prince Rupert has its challenges. I am just new to the range here and don't know any other BP shooters here.
 
Small World Cigar man, your location is my home town!! Thanks for the info. Sourcing .577 in Prince Rupert has its challenges. I am just new to the range here and don't know any other BP shooters here.

There used to be a very active club in Rupert and Terrace, with a lot of collaboration. There are guys still around who have Sniders and a fellow was out with a Whitworth at our open house, plenty of guys who cast many different types (Minie style included). Unfortunately there aren't too many left but if you want some leads, shoot me a PM. I'm supposed to be planning our (Terrace) BP schedule for this year along with a couple other good folks. We usually get some good experienced folks out for shoots, who may be able to assist. We do get plenty out from Rupert at most of our club events. Work has been getting in the way of progress but there is some real interest in making something blackpowder happen.
 
Last edited:
I thought the 1858 was purposefully designed for something like a Minie bullet?

Yup. And the service load of 2.5 drams - 68.5gr of FRP - FFg. Minié bullet needs to be about 2 thou smaller to allow an easy loading - expands on firing up that fast-twist barrel, too. I recall that the ROT is around 1:22 - 24. RB likes slow ROT of around 1:48 or more - often a lot more. You might have to try two different types of bullet - a thick and a thin skirt, for some reason they can be partial to either, but not both. I have a P-H Musketoon that shoots heavy skirt Miniés very well over a relatively small charge of 55gr of FFg. The same charge under a light skirt sprays them over the landscape.

There is some good Canadian stuff on youtube - look at britishmuzzleloaders - he has some great advice on the making of Miniés and even home-made paper cartridges.

Best

tac
 
Yup. And the service load of 2.5 drams - 68.5gr of FRP - FFg. Minié bullet needs to be about 2 thou smaller to allow an easy loading - expands on firing up that fast-twist barrel, too. I recall that the ROT is around 1:22 - 24. RB likes slow ROT of around 1:48 or more - often a lot more. You might have to try two different types of bullet - a thick and a thin skirt, for some reason they can be partial to either, but not both. I have a P-H Musketoon that shoots heavy skirt Miniés very well over a relatively small charge of 55gr of FFg. The same charge under a light skirt sprays them over the landscape.

There is some good Canadian stuff on youtube - look at britishmuzzleloaders - he has some great advice on the making of Miniés and even home-made paper cartridges.

Best

tac

The ROT for the Pedersoli 1858 is 1:48 so I don't imagine that to be any more significant than the myriad of other concerns that affect shot placement like load, powder granulation, bullet size, patch thickness, operator error, etc etc etc.

What I was hoping to hear was if folks have used tang sights on their rifle muskets and what their feedback might be.

Cheers
 
There used to be a very active club in Rupert and Terrace, with a lot of collaboration. There are guys still around who have Sniders and a fellow was out with a Whitworth at our open house, plenty of guys who cast many different types (Minie style included). Unfortunately there aren't too many left but if you want some leads, shoot me a PM. I'm supposed to be planning our (Terrace) BP schedule for this year along with a couple other good folks. We usually get some good experienced folks out for shoots, who may be able to assist. We do get plenty out from Rupert at most of our club events. Work has been getting in the way of progress but there is some real interest in making something blackpowder happen.

Thanks for the feedback. PM has been sent.
 
Back
Top Bottom