The Doc Pardee Club (44-40)

Bryan Austin

Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Hickory, NC
Winchester's first announcement in their very own catalog was not offered until 1875. Of course the catalog was dominated by the introduction of the 73' rifle. There are no less than 62 testimonials and one 110 yard group by Doc Pardee, which should give a hint as to how many were received by their new owners by the end of 1874. Aside from Winchester's 1875 catalog, Winchester also placed adds in the 1875, August 21st, Forest & Stream publications. These adds actually took the place Remington's add, pushing Remington down to a smaller add. Included in one add are more long distance shooting targets to include Doc's 110 yard group. The 73' had already proven itself and in just a tad over a year, Winchester dropped the Forest & Stream ads (Nov 1876).

E.H. Pardee, M.D. of San Francisco, California sent in, as a testimonial to Winchester, as to the accuracy and repeatable performance of the Model 1873 (target on right, originally printed halfsize of 2 ¼” dia.): His testimonial was published in Winchester's 1875 catalog, as well as the target being published in the 1875, August 21st, Forest & Stream publications.

unnamed.png

It affords me much pleasure to communicate to you the result of thirty consecutive shots at the distance of 110 yards. The firing was done without wiping, which proves the Winchester to be steady in her performance, and gives assurance to the sportsman that if he only performs his part in the manipulation of the piece, he need not fear the California jaguar, or grizzly bear.

I have decided to add this club to the 44-40 website here. This is an exclusive club for those that can provide to me a target that consist of a minimum of 30 consecutive shots (inside 4") with the 44-40 cartridge, fired from between 100 to 110 yards. Can be open, ladder, peep scope, etc. Can also be smokeless or black powder loads. The point is to prove the cartridge, not the shooter's eyesight...and to get some more participation!

Just ordered 10 patches (keeping one for myself leaves 9) @ $16.41 each. I will be a bit picky on who I award them. They are a life sized patch of Doc's target.

PATCHEXAMPLE1.png

Current Members
1. Doc Pardee, 1873 (Winchester 73')
2. John Kort, aka "w40wcf", 2014 (Marlin 1894 4x scope)
3. Bryan Austin, aka Savvy Jack", 2019 (Winchester 73' 6x scope)
4.
5.

RULES:
  1. 30 consecutive shot target must be sent to me for scoring, Email your target to me at curtisshawk21@gmail.com
  2. Any arm chambered for the 44-40 cartridge
  3. 100 to 110 yards
  4. standing, sitting whatever floats your boat.
  5. open, peep, tang, ladder, scope....whatever works for you to see the target.
  6. must list load-out, powder, bullet etc.
  7. I will score the target with Ballistic-X phone app.
  8. If your target qualifies, I will send it back with a life size target patch (it better be)! I ONLY HAVE 9 PATCHES
  9. USE A CLEAN TARGET, no "extra holes"
  10. more rules as needed...you guys crack me up with the things you do!

Again, more details here on the Chasing The 44-40 website


Winchester 73, 44-40 w/6x Malcolm scope
unnamed.jpg


300 Yards
IMG_1225.jpg

More 300 yard targets here
More 100 yard targets here
 
T'aint a club kinda feller but I've no issues with the 44-40. My main issue be with the Win 1873 due to it's inherent weakness of the toggle link
action. In a Model 92 or 94 Win, one can easily get near 44 Rem mag performance without stressing the action.

Had a Miroku Win 1873 for a short spell but moved 'er out as the '73 was a tad porky fer me along with with it's mediocre accuracy.
Fookin' buggers do act smooth & fast though for cowboy action shoots.
 
As far as strength, correct but that is NOT what this topic is about! If you want to hotrod the 44-40, it was done back in the 1920's to 1930's at upwards to 33,000cup. I can hit golfballs at 300 yards with 26gr of IMR-4227, 1,733fps, but upwards of 24,720cup using my Marlin 1894CB.

All of this information is posted on the Chasing The 44-40 website at the link I posted in the first post.

As far as accuracy......you might want to look into this again...and is the purpose of this topic. My loads for the Uberti Winchester 73', shooting 300 yards is 25.5gr of Reloder 7, a hand cast 43-214A...with velocities at the muzzle of 1,350fps and 950fps impact velocity at 300 yards. Again, the 300 yard target photo posted above. And many more here:

As far as historic accuracy documentation...

S.W Hutton, Winchester 73' sn# 6, Dec 20th 1873
925218b1-bcb4-475a-b478-da01d8cd9c2c.jpg
e7e918da-9c2c-487a-b2fb-f8509bf76e0e.jpg

Doc Pardee
Winchester' 1875 catalog, sn# 644
unnamed (1).png

So I believe your data on the accuracy is a bit inaccurate itself...unless you are comparing it to a 6.5 Creedmore!!
 
T'aint a club kinda feller but I've no issues with the 44-40. My main issue be with the Win 1873 due to it's inherent weakness of the toggle link
action. In a Model 92 or 94 Win, one can easily get near 44 Rem mag performance without stressing the action.

Had a Miroku Win 1873 for a short spell but moved 'er out as the '73 was a tad porky fer me along with with it's mediocre accuracy.
Fookin' buggers do act smooth & fast though for cowboy action shoots.
Do we really need a busibody to rain on our fun for no reason I shoot my original 1873 shoots accurately to 200 metres it is way more qualified than for just cowboy action shoots
 
According to the good Doc.


If you don't see the humour in my suggestion, read some of the 45/70 vs 12ga. thread. LOL
It's a riot.

My 44-40 is an Umberti made Henry 1860. I love it and the CTG

Yeap, an't no way I will ever not fear a Grizzly, even with a 45-70. LOL!!! I may, however, test a California jaguar...if I saw him first!!
 
Back
Top Bottom